Most Pretty Poultry Contest!!

Really nice setup. :clap

I get temperatures of about -40 every year and sometimes weeks below 0F. Do you think they would require heat in those temperatures? Any reason why they could not free range?
Pheasants will not free range. You let them out or they get out...their gone in a quick chilly minute. They are still wild, haven't been domesticated as long as chickens. As long as you can protect them from drafts, or a strong wind blowing on them, the cold doesn't have any effect on them. I lost a couple turning Harvey, due to the fact they stayed out in the rain and didn't use the sheltered area. They got soaked, no way for their feathers to insulate them and got hypothermia. They aren't real sharp about some things. They prefer to roost on the ground most of the time. During the snow they used the perches.
Your raising chickens in that cold, the pheasants will do just fine if you provide them the same protection as your chickens.
Edit: You don't want to raise pheasants anywhere near chickens, chickens can be carriers of diseases that they can tolerate but will kill a pheasant. Biosecurity is a priority.

Last edited:
Pheasants will not free range. You let them out or they get out...their gone in a quick chilly minute. They are still wild, haven't been domesticated as long as chickens. As long as you can protect them from drafts, or a strong wind blowing on them, the cold doesn't have any effect on them. I lost a couple turning Harvey, due to the fact they stayed out in the rain and didn't use the sheltered area. They got soaked, no way for their feathers to insulate them and got hypothermia. They aren't real sharp about some things. They prefer to roost on the ground most of the time. During the snow they used the perches.
Your raising chickens in that cold, the pheasants will do just fine if you provide them the same protection as your chickens.
Edit: You don't want to raise pheasants anywhere near chickens, chickens can be carriers of diseases that they can tolerate but will kill a pheasant. Biosecurity is a priority.
Thank you :thumbsup

I'll enable you here:
View attachment 1228330 View attachment 1228332
Not as much yellow!:gig:lau

Stop it! :gig Are the Goldens pretty easy going personality wise? I would love some pheasants one day - they are just so beautiful. But I like my birds to not be terrified of me.

I've found someone in NZ who sells hatching eggs and has Goldens and Yellows (and Lady Amherst)! Pretty sure we aren't allowed them in suburbia but we are looking at moving to a rural location. Time to start planning the aviaries!

Back
Top Bottom