mostly through day 19 -- found eggs upside down!!!

blaines.insane

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 26, 2008
SW Utah
Hey all...

I've got 6 live silkie eggs in the 'bator on day 19 1/2, and I just peeked through the window and noticed that two of them were upside down in the auto egg turner. Last night we were candling them, and my helper inadvertently put them back that way. She didn't know there was a difference, and I didn't even think about it. So they've been upside down for about 24 hours.

Has this ever happened to anyone this late in the game? What was the outcome? I'm having major anxiety here...

Thanks,
Blaine

welcome-byc.gif

Is the turner still on ???? Are you planing on letting them hatch in there ??

I would take them all out of the turner and lay them on there side or in eggs cartons (big end up)

Did you up the hum ?? day 18 you should up the hum and keep the bator closed !!

The turner is still on. I had read several different sources that you take it out and up the humidity 1 to 2 days before hatch (depending on source), no sooner. Have I been misinformed????

Someone please confim. This is my first hatch, and I feel so blessed to have had 6 out of 14 survive the shipping. I would just die if I screwed up and killed my first six chickies just before hatching! :'(

Blaine

I just double-checked the Genesis' user manual, and it says, "1 to 2 days before the expected hatch day, remove the egg turner and fill both water trays. Do not remove the lid until after the hatch"

I was planning on doing that first thing on day 20. Should I do it now? Day 19 is over at 12:01 AM (put them in the first minute of New Years day). So, by my calculations, they could start hatching any time between late Jan 20 - late Jan 21.

What say ye?

Thanks,
Blaine

From BYC Learning Center:
"Turning
Turning 3 times a day seems to be adequate for chicken eggs. Turning is essential in the early stages. For the last 3 days of incubation when the bird is preparing to hatch, do NOT turn. If not turned to a fresh position frequently during the early stages, the developing embryo touches the shell membrane and sticks to it causing abnormal growth. Turning the egg aids these movements within the egg, and mimics what a mother hen would do naturally."
you might want to re-read it right now...
You can probably just unplug the turner now. Most seem to take them out and place on their sides...just no touchy til all are done hatching!

blaines.insane :

I just double-checked the Genesis' user manual, and it says, "1 to 2 days before the expected hatch day, remove the egg turner and fill both water trays. Do not remove the lid until after the hatch"

I was planning on doing that first thing on day 20. Should I do it now? Day 19 is over at 12:01 AM (put them in the first minute of New Years day). So, by my calculations, they could start hatching any time between late Jan 20 - late Jan 21.

What say ye?

Thanks,
Blaine

At the end of day 18 you/the turner should stop turning and up the hum to about 60%-65%

I would quickly open the bator lay them on there side and get the hum up. And then leave the bator closed !!

The only reason I wouldnt let them hatch in the turner is b/c Ive heard storys about chicks getting caught up in them, But thats just me !!​

Back
Top Bottom