Mother and pullet 4ever

Talka

Chirping
May 5, 2019
Hi everyone!
I had a "stray" hen who decided my back yard is a good place to raise her young. Each time she would come back with 10 chicks and most would die in various ways (mostly eaten by cats). In the last batch only 1 female survived. She is 4.5 months old now and the two are still inseparable. The mother never tried to "wean" the pullet & the pullet never leaves her mother's side - even when she sat on a new batch of eggs, the pullet stayed with her and set with/on her. She would only go for breaks if the mother took a break.
Have you ever encountered anything like that? Is it common or is there an explanation for this behavior? Could their relationship go on like this forever?
*unrelated to the question - I found both of them a good home, together! No more dead chicks!
1579790433530.png

Hi everyone!
I had a "stray" hen who decided my back yard is a good place to raise her young. Each time she would come back with 10 chicks and most would die in various ways (mostly eaten by cats). In the last batch only 1 female survived. She is 4.5 months old now and the two are still inseparable. The mother never tried to "wean" the pullet & the pullet never leaves her mother's side - even when she sat on a new batch of eggs, the pullet stayed with her and set with/on her. She would only go for breaks if the mother took a break.
Have you ever encountered anything like that? Is it common or is there an explanation for this behavior? Could their relationship go on like this forever?
*unrelated to the question - I found both of them a good home, together! No more dead chicks!
View attachment 2008987
That is such a sweet story, and with a wonderful happy ending too! Probably Mama hen knew she needed a buddy to be able to raise her chicks and her daughter was just the ticket. I think it's heartwarming to know they are so close. And what a great photo you have here! Mama hens with their chicks are the cutest thing! :hugs

So cute story! 🤗
Last year I had a bantam hen which she didn't want to left her 6 chicks until they become 3 months old. (actually I separate them)
I think that this behavior is very common when we have affectionate broody hens.

Back
Top Bottom