Mothers Day hatch *hatching updates*

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
This is my second hatch.
First hatch was 30%, I now believe I was having humidity issues.
I have a hova 1588, auto turner and new digital hygrometer (didn't have that last time)
Started with 30 big beautiful eggs from a fellow BYCer.
candled and removed three definate infertiles on day 7, one was scramble, one a double yolker and one just nothing I believe that gives him a 96.5% fertility rate (?)
day 11 candeling showed slightly smaller than expected air cells, I believe this was from my slightly higher than should be humidity (next time i will have a scale).
I have adjusted humdity down and at day 14 candling all looks well. Air cells may still be slightly small . . . we will see, hopefully this will reapair itself in the next week.
I think most of the 27 eggs are good, but hard to tell in some that have really thick nonporous shells. I see veigning(sp?) in all and movement in almost all.
I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO A REALLY EXCITING MOTHERS DAY!!!!
Who else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i am, I didnt realize it was going to be a mothers day hatch till earlier today though. 12 assorted bantam (mystery) eggs, and 12 whites silkie eggs all from a swap. Testing out my new incubator.
smile.png

What have you got in there?

Quote:
i have 27 gorgeous Buckeye eggs from a wonderfully generous BYCer. Did you candle yours at all? and what type of new incubator do you have?

I'll join the group!
big_smile.png
I'm helping Headstart hatch some chicks and they are due next Wed. Not Mother's Day but close enough! LOL I got our eggs from "threeboyschicks" here on BYC and I started with 12. Just candled the other day and 2 orp eggs were infertile. Now, we have 3 silkie eggs, 2 bantam cochin eggs, 1 blrw egg, 1 ameracauna egg, 1 buff orp egg and 2 leghorn X sexlink eggs. All seem to be developing well. I'm using an old LG I used to use and I'm using a hydrometer for the first time. I read all kinds of opinions on what to keep the humidity at and I decided to keep it in the 40's until day 18. One university website said to keep it between 50 and 60 but I was afraid to keep it that high until the end when I will shoot for 65%. I hope all of our eggies AND YOURS hatch!!!
fl.gif

My hatch will be a day or two after Mother's Day most likely, but close enough. This is our first time incubating, so we're hoping for good results!
smile.png

Quote:
Congratulations on you good hatch . . . please post a pic on this thread to get the rest of us through this last week with good vibes!!!

Your wish is my command.
Here you go:
23790_dsc05434.jpg

This was mid-hatch, so I got several more after this. They are 2 buff orps and two styles of Wheaton Marans (clean legged and feathered legged).

Here's some of the Wheaton marans.... love 'em!
23790_dsc05435.jpg

Happy Hatching!

Back
Top Bottom