Moths coming out of the feed and barley straw

MarylandChick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
A.A. County MD
I have a zillion moths coming up out of my chicken feed and also coming out of the straw in my coop. I don't know which was the orginal source of the moths. I feed the chickens crushed corn with laying mash, crush oyster shell, with a little bit or horse feed pellets (I had an extra giant bag lying around the the chickens love it.) I keep it all mixed together in a gigantic bin with a top on it in a closet in the garage.

I have been using fly paper to catch the moths but even if I change it every other day I still am over run with these small gray moths. The chickens don't seem to eat them because the moths are only active at night. They spendall day alseep on the cieling and walls of the coop. I have no light source in the coop so I do't know what attracts them or why they don't fly out the door.

It's a nusiance but doesn't seem to bother the chickens, but still I'd like to get rid of them. Where are they coming from, how do I stop them from appearing and what a faster method than fly paper?

I would assume there are moth eggs in either the chicken feed or straw, and they're all hatching. I don't know what to do to get rid of them!!! Maybe put a bright bug zapper up so that they're all attracted to the light and get zapped, then your chickens can eat their dead electrocuted bodies as a snack!!! LOL!!! Seriously, I don't know. I hope someone else can help!!!

although i would nto care for moths coming out my feed either, i fail to see the problem. they are just extra snacks for the girls
D.gif

Sounds like you have Indian Meal Moths from contaminated feed. No big deal. We never had them until I got some contaminated bird seed. Now they hatch regularly in our house. Try to keep them outside so they don't get into your cake mixes, flours, etc.

The fly paper is a good idea. You can buy phernome traps for them at places like Home Depot or Lowes - probably other stores too. The sticky they put in those traps get covered real fast so it is probably best to lay fly paper around the trap so when they land on it to investigate where the smell is coming from, they get caught.

Good luck

A big zapper! Why didn't I think of that?!
lol.png
I have an old one in my barn in a box somewhere!
big_smile.png
I can't believe I didn't think of it. That's perfect! The noise might scare away other evil critters too! Ohhh and maybe an idiot squirrel might zap himself and decide the coop isn't such a swet place to hang out at after all! I feel like such a moron because that's such a good and obvious idea! Thank you!! Seriously, thank you!
big_smile.png

(The moths are annoying because when I go in the coop they often fly in my face or end up in my hair! :mad: Plus it's kind of gross to have a coop interior covered in moths.)

Sounds like you have a pantry moth problem...
they come in in pasta, seeds, bird food, etc...
I've been using sticky traps forever and they work quite well...
That's how I got mine, OleCrone...contaminated bird food...grrr.
Obelisk tries to catch them.

Oh no not those buggers. They can be horrible.
roll.png
They get into everything and everywhere. We got some with some cheap gerbil food. It's taken 2years to get them out of the house and 5years to get their numbers down to unnoticeable in the stable. Close everything up air tight. You'd be amazed what they can get into. Lock up all the feed you can and all the food in your house. Make sure any feed left out for the chickens is being eaten quickly so the moths don't have time to multiply in the feeders. Don't leave anything in bags even the flour and sugar in the house. Then get some pantry moth traps. These fold out into little triangles with a scented pad to attract the moths. Stay one step ahead of them and you should be able to get rid of them this year.

I have heard that bay leaves have something in them to keep them from hatching but I haven't bought any bay leaves yet--I plan to go grocery shopping this week as I have noticed the same thing....good luck!

Quote:
YES DE would do the trick . Thats one of the reasons I DO NOT PUT FEED INSIDE THE COOP . BUT my guess the moths laid eggs inside the straw and YES , bingo they hatched .

When they are inside the coop its time for them to roost and sleep , NOT EAT . I do SUPPLY plenty of water inside tho .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom