Mottled Cochin Bantams

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
Hello! I am new to Cochins and I picked up a few 10 week old Mottled Cochin Bantams today. They all have a lot of white on them. . . is that normal for this breed? I've never seen one with this much white, are they poor quality? Either way I adore them, I was just curious what others thought. Oh, and they are bullies to my other girls, even though they are new! What is that, bantam complex?

Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

34304_dsc_0473.jpg

34304_dsc_0459.jpg

34304_dsc_0441.jpg

Wow that is a lot of white! They look like oreo cookies. But they are very pretty and look soft even in a picture. I don't know anything about how mottleds molt out as they grow, but I do know with mille fleur d'uccles they get even more white each time they molt.

I love that first picture where he has his head cocked to one side "You lookin' at me !?!

That's interesting - opposite of d'uccles white spangles increasing as they mature. I learned something new today
big_smile.png

Good since I got some mottled cochin eggs in the mail this afternoon!!!

Quote:
actaully they loose alot of the white in their first molt then their secon molt the get more white... here is a pic with hens that have gone through their first and the one with more white has went through her second.

The one on the left is the 2nd molt hen she's spotted like that all over, the 2 on the right are the 1st time molts.. so they kinda loose the white then get it back..lOL

21968_dsc_0439.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
actaully they loose alot of the white in their first molt then their secon molt the get more white... here is a pic with hens that have gone through their first and the one with more white has went through her second.

The one on the left is the 2nd molt hen she's spotted like that all over, the 2 on the right are the 1st time molts.. so they kinda loose the white then get it back..lOL

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/21968_dsc_0439.jpg

I cant wait for my babies to hatch from your birds
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom