Mottled Orpington Egg Hatched - Close up photos - Julie

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I thought you might be interested in seeing this little chick that came out of my one mottled orp egg that hatched this week.

I took them outside today and let them play in the grass and sunshine.

This chick hatched out black with a buffish/yellow light down and some almost white down. You can just begin to make out on the face the buffish type coloring there.

mottledorp1.jpg

mottledorp2.jpg

mottledorp3.jpg

The 2 different colors of wing feathers coming in is interesting.

Are the hens being bred to your mottled roo a true black or blacks from the blue/black/splash?

The painted nails are so I can identify it from the others. It does blend right in!

orpgroup.jpg

Thanks, Cyn. I wasn't sure how long she would be gone. I intend to document this little baby because I know she has expressed interest in how chicks from her mottled roo develop. Out of 5 eggs there were 2 that began to develop and 1 quit around day 18. This is the only one that hatched. It makes it kind of special.
smile.png

i just went to tsc and let my daughter get 8 chicks and i dont know what kind they are. but the 6 look just like that one.i looked for baby chicks and they look just like black jersey giants. did you or someone get one mixed up!.

I promise you there is no way TSC has a mottled orpington or a blue/black/splash orpington.

These chicks were hatched from eggs from a breeder of this specific type of orpington.

You won't find these in main stream hatchery chicks.
smile.png

Different breeds of dark chicks can look similar.

Nope, no hatcheries sell these to feedstores, I promise. The only two in the U.S. that I know of that sell the straightrun chicks are sold out till the end of fall this year. And they are not cheap, either. None of the big hatcheries have them.

Last edited:
aaaawwwwwwwww I want that baby....all of the babies....I have plenty of room in the hot tub for em too.
big_smile.png

MissPrissy thoughts are truly beautiful healthy looking babies. Well done to your mamas.

I have one of Julie's mottleds that hatched out a couple of weeks ago. Also has some white feathers like that. Im anxious to see how she grows out.

Back
Top Bottom