1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mountain Lion Kills Horse!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BlueLagoonRabbitry, Oct 19, 2011.

1. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    So last night we find out a mountain lion killed our neighbors little paint filly. Ripped her throat out [​IMG] Any ideas on how to exterminate it?

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Check with your local fish and game--in W. Iowa mountain lions may well be a protected species and dead horse or no, you could be in trouble by taking the law into your own hands.

3. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    The DNR around here denies any claims that we have mountain lions even though dozens have been killed/shot but we have been told if they take out livestock we have free aim.

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    It will be back to feed. I would just SSS. A good houndsman could get it also.

5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    How do you know it was a mountain lion?

6. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    we only have mountain lions and coyotes here no bears and the animal clawed the crud out of the body and went straight for the neck......usual behavior of a moutain lion killing prey.

7. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    A very, very large trap baited with the remains? A deer stand and infrared scope? Really hardcore dogs, like mastiffs?

I dunno! They don't officially live in Alabama either, but there are cats here big enough to drag goats off, and maim bulls and horses. And these are just the experiences of my own family...

8. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    We have videos, pictures, track impressions and everything of them but o no they didnt release them here...

9. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Mountain lions usually bite their prey on the back of the neck paralyzing it. That sounds more like a wolf or dog.

10. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:This. Snap the neck, then gut the animal is what I've seen from a mountain lion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by