AccidentalQuailKeeper

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2021
Canada
Hello, I have 3 japanese coturnix quails which I have kept outside for about a week now. Due to a stupid oversight, a mouse got in and ended up injuring one of my quail. Whether she was attacked or bonked her head on the roof of their cage I am unsure. Regardless when I found her she was listless with blood coming from a wound in her head and a few other cuts. I managed to clean up her wounds with hydrogen peroxide and applied some antibiotic ointment. She is inside now but is still drowsy and refuses to eat or drink on her own (I have been giving her a little bit of sugar water). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Her name is Bonnie.

Additional Information:

Her eyes are swollen and she has a hard time opening them, besides sometimes turning her head, she remains fluffed up with her head down when usually she is constantly moving. Also I haven't heard a sound from her besides some quiet wheezing yesterday. She's still able to flap her wings and her mobility seems fine but it's like she chooses not too.

Are you sure the injury wasn't from one of the quail? Not that it really matters, but I find it odd that a mouse would go for an area that birds typically injure.

First, make sure she's warm. You've done the right thing by cleaning the wounds. It does sound more like pecking injuries than mouse injuries, but the important thing is to make sure that they're clean and that she's warm.

If you can, give her some Nutri-Drench or Save-A-Chick to get some energy into her. Some boiled, crushed egg might also tempt her to eat.

Do you have any pictures?

Are you sure the injury wasn't from one of the quail? Not that it really matters, but I find it odd that a mouse would go for an area that birds typically injure
Are you sure the injury wasn't from one of the quail? Not that it really matters, but I find it odd that a mouse would go for an area that birds typically injure.
She's a bit feisty so I wouldn't be surprised if she got into a quarrel with a mouse. I did see a pretty big mouse running away from their enclosure so a mouse definitely played apart in this. In addition she's not super jumpy as I have a dog that always noses at her and she never seems to care. I wouldn't rule out that the others may have pecked at her a bit as one had little bit of blood on her feathers.

First, make sure she's warm. You've done the right thing by cleaning the wounds. It does sound more like pecking injuries than mouse injuries, but the important thing is to make sure that they're clean and that she's warm.

If you can, give her some Nutri-Drench or Save-A-Chick to get some energy into her. Some boiled, crushed egg might also tempt her to eat.

Do you have any pictures?
I have ordered some nutridrench but it won't arrive till the 12th. I have been giving her some sugar water (2 teaspoons sugar, 1 cup warm water) using a cutip and dabbing it on her beak just to make sure she's not getting dehydrated. I will send a picture.

UPDATE:

I have ordered Nutridrench but it will not arrive till the 12th.

She has begun moving around much more and have moved her from a small plastic container to a medium dog crate indoors.

She's eating a little bit but it's very slow and I have no idea if she is actually consuming anything. I have baby parrot formula which is high in protein, should I give this to her?

Her eyes are still quite puffy but she seems to see much better now.

Attachments

• 16390753989709206884277648627887.jpg
    16390753989709206884277648627887.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 16390755425566460055413517928418.jpg
    16390755425566460055413517928418.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 6
Please do everything Nabiki is saying, all her advice above is gold. Eggs are made for feeding birds. Perfect advise.

I am not a fan of sugar in water, we love the taste but technically sugar is a suppressant for the immune system, so not helpful if she might get a wound infection. She will get protein and energy from Nabiki's plan.

Back
Top Bottom