Mouse bite/Frost bite/ broken ankles???

Must be a huge Mama if she can cover Four, 9 1/2 week old chicks and keep everyone's feet warm too.

I read it. I understand about the feed. But Bubbles, swelling, cold temps generally is Frostbite.
They all back in a corner of the box now to sleep. The one with bad ankles is the only one constantly under her all the way and the others are usually tucked behind her or behind a wing with their heads peeking out.

Must be a huge Mama if she can cover Four, 9 1/2 week old chicks and keep everyone's feet warm too.

I read it. I understand about the feed. But Bubbles, swelling, cold temps generally is Frostbite.
They all back in a corner of the box now to sleep. The one with bad ankles is the only one constantly under her all the way and the others are usually tucked behind her or behind a wing with their heads peeking out.

I never use other feeds, and I've never had problems with it before in 10 years.

It could be there's some different genetic predisposition to excessive calcium in these chicks. Strongly recommend getting a bag of starter and or flock raiser crumble. To have both legs on one chick looking like that doesn't look like an injury. It will only take one bag of different food to relieve that issue. If we're wrong, we're wrong- but starter and/or flock raiser also falls into "will do no harm"

Jeez that sounds bad. I don't know what those temps are as I compute in 'modern', lol. Only my mum knows what F is since we went decimal before I was born.

But seriously, aren't they in a coop with insulation at night? Or do they roost in trees? Chickens huddle up pretty well together.

It could be there's some different genetic predisposition to excessive calcium in these chicks. Strongly recommend getting a bag of starter and or flock raiser crumble. To have both legs on one chick looking like that doesn't look like an injury. It will only take one bag of different food to relieve that issue. If we're wrong, we're wrong- but starter and/or flock raiser also falls into "will do no harm"
Alright, I'll try. I've had these lines for a few years with no problems, but this is this particular hen's first ever successful brood

Jeez that sounds bad. I don't know what those temps are as I compute in 'modern', lol. Only my mum knows what F is since we went decimal before I was born.

But seriously, aren't they in a coop with insulation at night? Or do they roost in trees? Chickens huddle up pretty well together.
I keep saying they're in a brooding box in my barn
They have dry shavings and no drafts

Frostbite is very possible. I've already lost a chick and a. 7 month cockerel to the cold. It's been single digits if not negatives every night and day for 2 weeks.
Any way you can move them to a warmer area and provide them with more protection even deeper bedding. Feet are getting exposed somehow even if under Mom.

Alright, I'll try. I've had these lines for a few years with no problems, but this is this particular hen's first ever successful brood
I keep saying they're in a brooding box in my barn
They have dry shavings and no drafts
But have you had chicks this young in these temps before?
Single digits for 2 weeks straight is quite a bit of stress even on adults much less 9 1/2 week olds.

Back
Top Bottom