Mouse problems

DarkhorseFarmer

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
Hampton, MN
Hi everyone,

Can you all give me your best ideas to keep mice out of my coop? Basically trap ideas since there is no way to possibly seal up the coop all the way... I saw a little bugger out there tonight while I was getting eggs. So ultimately I need chicken and dog safe ideas.

I'm thinking the best starting place is bringing in food at night? I don't want to do that because it means taking up time in the morning before work, but if I have to I will.

It has gotten cold now so I suppose it's an uphill battle from now on...

I use sealed up, multi-catch traps that you don't bait. There are holes that go through, and a spring or some other mechanism, sometimes their body weight that traps them in the holding area. You have to check them every other day or so to see if you've caught any; what I do is put them in a bucket of water while I'm doing other chores, by the time I'm done they have drowned and I can empty them out. I've found these at the feed store and places like Tractor Supply. I've also found them at the hardware store.

You can also make a trap out of a bucket of water with a board leaning against it, making a ramp up to the lip of the bucket. You put a small piece of wood to float on the water and put peanut butter or something on it. They jump on to the raft, fall off and drown. There is bait on this one, but it's perfectly safe. Remember, the water does not have to be all that deep; it just has to be deep enough to drown a mouse. Four or five inches should suffice.

Snap traps in shoe boxes with holes for mice to enter and rubber bands holding box lids in place.

Keep your feed in metal garbage cans with tight lids, one for bags and one for feeder maybe.

Bucket traps can work great but, could 'catch' chickens if they have access.

Back
Top Bottom