Move Chicks Outside?

qopt

Songster
Mar 14, 2020
Seattle, Washington
I saw a post of someone saying they move their brooder with a heat source outside at around 2 weeks. My chicks are 2 weeks old and their heat source is a heat lamp. Should I move all of that outside? Brooder, lamp and all. It gets as low as 30 degrees f. outside.
I didn’t think I was supposed to move them outside so soon, I read that generally the time you move your chicks outside is when they’re ready to live out there.

I saw a post of someone saying they move their brooder with a heat source outside at around 2 weeks. My chicks are 2 weeks old and their heat source is a heat lamp. Should I move all of that outside? Brooder, lamp and all. It gets as low as 30 degrees f. outside.
I didn’t think I was supposed to move them outside so soon, I read that generally the time you move your chicks outside is when they’re ready to live out there.
I brooded day old chicks outside when the ambient temperature was as low as 23F. The chicks were less than a week old when we hit that low. They did completely fine.
However, I used a brooder plate with a towel over it and that is much easier to control a nice toasty spot for warm ups and sleeping than a heat lamp not to mention a whole lot safer.
I would consider getting a brooder plate and moving them out. I'd be hesitant with a heat lamp but that's just me.

I brooded day old chicks outside when the ambient temperature was as low as 23F. The chicks were less than a week old when we hit that low. They did completely fine.
However, I used a brooder plate with a towel over it and that is much easier to control a nice toasty spot for warm ups and sleeping than a heat lamp not to mention a whole lot safer.
I would consider getting a brooder plate and moving them out. I'd be hesitant with a heat lamp but that's just me.
Thank you for the reply.. I am just not sure if I should move them out with a lamp.
If I were to move them out I would keep the brooder under our porch to make sure rain doesn't hit them.
Is it okay to just keep them in the brooder until they're ready to go out?

But don't leave it unattended! At this age, they are VERY good at flying and VERY susceptible to predators. Plus, if it's windy, they're going to get cold (and they're going to let you know they're unhappy with their loud chirping). Your chickens are ready to move outside full-time by 4-5 weeks of age.

But don't leave it unattended! At this age, they are VERY good at flying and VERY susceptible to predators. Plus, if it's windy, they're going to get cold (and they're going to let you know they're unhappy with their loud chirping). Your chickens are ready to move outside full-time by 4-5 weeks of age.
I am not going to let them out yet, weather is too bad. My brooder has hardware cloth over it 24/7.

I start my chicks indoors in a converted rubbermaid tub with a hardware cloth lid. At about 2-3 weeks (this year that will be about the 2nd week of May), I move them outside into a dog crate wrapped in hardware cloth. We use infrared heat lamps, but have used red heat lamps in the past. We live in Northern NH, where the nightly lows in May go down to the mid 20's. I've never lost a chick, and they've always seemed happier to be outside than inside! Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom