Moveable chicken run

Bird netting across the top - possibly as a series of regularly spaced posts in a grid, netting across the whole thing, then temporary electric stretched between posts to establish their "run" for that day or week. That common in 9 post designs - the outer is a permanent wall, and two inner, movable sections extending from the center post to the mid wall post make a square, allowing rotational grazing.
Something stationary would make setting up much easier. I find mowing the fence line to be extremely helpful in holding charge in my (solar) set up. Having at least part of that fence line stay visible would avoid some frustration.

Thanks! I’ll look into electric fencing. I’d assume it doesn’t protect against hawks though, right? Any suggestions on that?

I put in various hawk-shelter covers in my pen -- pallets on blocks, chunks of metal roofing leaned on supports, etc.

I accept the fact that I will eventually lose birds to them but it's a trade-off.

Something stationary would make setting up much easier. I find mowing the fence line to be extremely helpful in holding charge in my (solar) set up. Having at least part of that fence line stay visible would avoid some frustration.
Honestly, if you have a large "hard" outer fence perimiter, with the electric set up on that, you don't even need electric on the inside, since you are merely keeping the chickens contained. Then your outer has both a physical barrier and an electrical stand off - and if you use the fence as your ground, it will deter climbers, too.

Still, unfortunately, need hardware cloth or something on the bottom to help frustrate the smaller predators who might otherwise reach thru a graduated livestock fence, cattle panel, or similar - but likely less expensive and more durable than the moveable nets.

Ok here’s the new plan. Lol. Let me know what you think. Stationary coop & run. Attach electric fencing to the run for semi-free ranging when we are home to supervise. Dogs can be out during this time. I will rotate the electric fencing every few weeks as needed (when lawn gets pretty beat up).

Only question I still have is how does the electric fence keep the chickens in? What makes them not fly over? I am going with heavier, non-flighty breeds for this reason (probably Sussex & Orpington, maybe a true Ameraucana), but 3 feet still is pretty low.

DH wants to be able to remove the netting if we host people for a bbq, & wants to keep the backyard looking like a backyard & not to shabby, 🙄 so I’ll be buying/making a cute coop and run so it isn’t an “eyesore”. He prefers the shared chicken farm experience, but is willing to compromise to make me and DS happy. Right now that means 4-6 only and “cute” setup. So some of the stipulations are annoying but part of the deal. Lol

Last year he was hesitant for me to brood the chicks, but after going through the experience I am now encouraged to raise chicks for the farm whenever the family wants more. Once he realized I would not be asking him to do everything and how easy it was to care for the babies & that it didn’t take up too much space, he loosened up, & I actually brooded a second group of chicks a few weeks after the first! He is the “careful” one & I am the impulsive one! So unfortunately compromise has to happen. I talked to him about the electric fencing and he thinks it could work since we could remove it and just have chickens in the run if, like I said, we are hosting for a birthday party or something of that sort.

Only question I still have is how does the electric fence keep the chickens in?
I recommend the 4 foot, not 3 foot fence. The fence being soft helps because the chickens can't fly up onto it, then over. I do have the occasional escapee, but usually it is my leghorns. The bigger breeds you mentioned should do pretty well.

To put your DH at ease, I used this fence to rotate my meat birds last year in my yard. 15 of them. LOTS of poop, but with prudent rotation the grass the next year was 100% back to normal. If you wanna keep the birds in a small space without decimating the grass, I think this is the way to do it. Especially if you are only keeping 4 to 6 birds. I can completely take down and put back up the fence in about 40 minutes. It is a great solution for temporary, mobile fencing! Also, if it is close to the house, plug in chargers are even more affordable than the solar ones. Just some things to consider.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/poultry-supplies/electric-netting-kits

Only question I still have is how does the electric fence keep the chickens in? What makes them not fly over? I am going with heavier, non-flighty breeds for this reason (probably Sussex & Orpington, maybe a true Ameraucana), but 3 feet still is pretty low.

First, I have the 48" fence.

Second, heavier breeds don't fly well once they are full-grown.

Third, I clipped wings as needed.

*Most* chickens will fly to the top of a barrier and then back down rather than flying over the barrier.

My main escape threats are older chicks (young chicks can go straight through the mesh), and POL pullets. POLs seem to want to wander -- probably looking for good nest sites without really knowing what they're looking for.

I also have a California White that flies like a helicopter. I don't clip her wings because she can get back in -- unlike the others, who pace around complaining that they want to rejoin the flock but can't figure out how.

Back
Top Bottom