Moving babies from garage brooder to coop?

CoolClucker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Indiana USA
I have 11 baby chicks I've had for 1 week now. They're about 9 days old. They have just started feathering on their wingtips. I keep them in a brooder in the garage because I have no brooder in my coop. I have a coop and 4 adult hens, 1 rooster. They're 7 years old. It's summertime here and daytime temps range from 75-90F during the day and about 55-70 at night. I can close the windows on the coop and put in a heat lamp if needed in the coop. Would they be ok in the coop ? It is sturdy and well built. I can put together a brooder section in the coop and add heat lamp. Just curious about temps being safe for them. If I shut the coop door at night and have heat lamp will they be ok at night?

Last edited:
If there's no room in the coop, can you brood them in the run? Absolutely do not kick the adults out of there, that's their home. You cannot put chicks with a non broody hen and expect her to take care of them.

Please give this a read through (and if my set up doesn't work, there's many other guides for early integration here). IF you set up for it you can integrate chicks early and safely: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

At about 6 weeks of age, put your chicks into a dog crate (read that as wire cage) that you can place into the coop with their future flockmates. Let them live like this for about a week, where they can see and hear each other but can't touch. During this week, arrange for hidey-holes and safe havens and escape routes for the chicks to duck into, under, behind once you've released them into the coop without their dog crate... somewhere that the adults can't get into. Place the chick feed and water in one of these safe zones, so that the chicks cannot be denied access to groceries.
Expect pecking to occur, the adults letting the little ones know their place in the PECKING order. This is normal behavior and nothing to worry about unless they draw blood. Separate them if blood is drawn.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
You can brood them out there too, but I'd leave them in the protection of the brooder/dog crate for a week as I'd described above, while the established flock (adults) gets used to the idea of them being around.

so i shouldn't brood them now in the coop/dog crate?

You can brood them in the coop (sorry I guess I misread and thought you had no room in coop), but I would not do a heat lamp because of the adults (they certainly don't need it and your days are quite warm/hot already). A heat plate or heat pad would be a better option. Do not close windows, you need to always have ample ventilation and honestly your daytime temps could verge on being too hot even for the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom