moving chicks outside

Tina12

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
I know this question has been asked quite a few times but I just have to ask again. My chicks are 5 weeks old now. 3 buff orpingtons and 3 easter eggers. They have been in the house with temperatures between 65-70 with no heat lamp for over a week. Outside day temperatures is in the 70s but nighttime temps run between 40-50. I am ready for them to go outside. I have no electricity in the barn. The barn has a wood floor and it is draft free. If I put lots of pine shavings on the floor for them will they be ok? Thanks for your advice,

Tina

Mine are ~4 weeks old and went out yesterday when I got home from work. Should be in the 70's today and 50's at night. I did put the lamp out there with them last night though.

They should be old enough to go outside. The nighttime temperatures are good, but I would suggest keeping them in at night for a few days until you leave them outside for good. They will be fine outside for the daytime.
Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I moved them outside yesterday to the barn. It was really warm yesterday afternoon about 75 degrees. I ran an extension cord out there with a 60 watt light bulb for the night and this morning it was 47 degrees when I woke up. I ran to the barn and the chicks were doing great. They were running around making a mess...lol. I guess we do baby our chicks maybe a little too much. They seem alot tougher than we give them credit for.

My only issue was I wasn't expecting snake season yet :(
I came in yesterday afternoon and had the lid up against the wall and saw a little snake head weaving through it. Freaked out, ran inside and made DH go deal with it. I don't do snakes. I don't think it was a good snake either. DH took pics, but I won't look at them. He attempted to killed it but didn't succeed since it was woven into the hardware cloth lid.
So now I'm just looking for snakes everywhere and will have to change the brooder a little so the snakes can't get in around the edges.
But they seem to enjoy outside and playing in the grass and spots of dirt.

if you have no heat put them in a smaller box at night, they will keep each other warm better. if you get really worried, you can put some hand warming packets in an old towel for them to sleep on.

Back
Top Bottom