Moving Chicks To A Coop

Coop’s Coop

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2018
Kentucky
My chicks are 3-4 weeks old. They are currently in a brooder with a heat lamp on. It’s about 80 degrees. However they are quickly outgrowing their brooder. When is it ok to put them outside in their coop? There are no other chickens in the coop. It gets down in the low 30s at night, would a heat lamp still provide enough heat for them at night?

If I can’t put them in their coop, when can I take them outside for short periods of time to play and get used to the outdoors?

If your coop is predator proof there is not reason they can't be moved into it today...
I would turn off the heat lamp on them inside already.

My chicks are 3-4 weeks old. They are currently in a brooder with a heat lamp on. It’s about 80 degrees. However they are quickly outgrowing their brooder. When is it ok to put them outside in their coop? There are no other chickens in the coop. It gets down in the low 30s at night, would a heat lamp still provide enough heat for them at night?

If I can’t put them in their coop, when can I take them outside for short periods of time to play and get used to the outdoors?

I'm also at a similar point, 3 week old chicks on a broader. I've been doing my best to keep them on minimal heat - the room is 65F and the ceramic heat lamp is in only a corner from the broader, currently at about 80F. The chicks spend most of their time running around the broader, flying end to end, and climbing on their roosting playground.
Unfortunately - it's still pretty cold in Minnesota - if I take them outside for a stint today it's in the 40s. Is that 20 degree temp swing from inside ok? I'm hoping to get them some time in the run to explore.

Back
Top Bottom