Moving chicks to coop

My chicks are 10 weeks old. I live in Ohio, the weather has been inconsistent. One week it’s in the 40s and the next it’s in the low 30s with the mornings sometimes in the 20s. At what age can my chicks be moved to their outdoor coop without any heat source?
They are fully feathered and no longer chicks. They can go out right now.
If you are concerned about acclimation, you can give them a huddle box in a sheltered corner of the coop.

They are fully feathered and no longer chicks. They can go out right now.
If you are concerned about acclimation, you can give them a huddle box in a sheltered corner of the coop.
That’s good news. Every article I’ve read says the weather has to consistently stay in the 50s at night for them to be outside. Is that just for chicks who are not fully feathered? I’m kind of nervous to have them outside and wasn’t sure what to do.

That’s good news. Every article I’ve read says the weather has to consistently stay in the 50s at night for them to be outside. Is that just for chicks who are not fully feathered? I’m kind of nervous to have them outside and wasn’t sure what to do.
Take a heat lamp out with them, put it off in the corner. If they need it, they can use it, if they don't, they'll move away. Just make sure the lamp is securely attached to a wall so it can not fall and start a fire.

I have chicks off heat and moved into the coop around 4 weeks, mid 40s at night. However my chicks are brooded outdoors so they acclimate quicker.

Your chicks should be fully off heat by this point (if not, work on that first) and for a gentler acclimatization (and to ease your mind) you can spend the next few days giving them increasingly long periods of time outside during the day, so they get used to the cooler outside temperatures before you fully move them out.

Alternatively if you can run electricity to the coop you can provide a little heat in the coop and put them out without acclimating.

Thank you for the tips. Do you think their feet will get too cold in the snow? How long do you recommend having them outside at a time?
At this age, you can start with a few hours at first, and then tack on a few more each day. If you have snow on the ground in the run area, it might be best to do all the acclimating inside the coop, so they still have exposure to the cooler temps but without the added stress of learning to deal with snow (as many chickens don't like it)

Thank you for the tips. Do you think their feet will get too cold in the snow? How long do you recommend having them outside at a time?
Do you have other chickens in the coop?
If not, I'd just put them in the coop for a week or so before lettign them out into the run.

Back
Top Bottom