moving hens and chicks

whisner00

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Hi Everyone! I have four baby chicks and three proud mama's. They are in the henhouse and I have another area set up for them so they will be safer. One hen has already attacked the babies. I'm not sure how to get them moved with their mama's without myself getting attacked. The chicks will not be able to get out of the hen house by themselves right now so I don't know if the mama's will get them out or leave them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

OK Folks,
I am in the same situation as Whisner00. Please give us an answer. I have two chicks with two proud hens. They are in the henhouse attached to a trampoline for cover along with four other hens and one rotton attituded (Is that a word?) rooster. I have a place to move them I just waited a couple of days too long, now they are hatched. While trying to move them I found out the meaning of the old saying "meaner than a mother hen"! HELP!!!

Sad story. Just went out to move them because I have heard if you relocate chickens at night, they wake up and carry on as usual. To my surprise I found a chicken snake working on an egg that had not yet hatched. That sucker had already ate our two babies. It was between 2 1/2 - 3' long. I'm sorry, I have relocated snakes, raccoons, squirells, and lizards for years. I hate killing anything but.... I said a prayer and he is GONE! My hens are distraught and tomorrow I hope that TSC has chicks so I can get a few to throw in for my hens to mother. This stinks!!!!

Well I guess I just have to get out there and get them moved! I'm used to them following me around, being curious, coming when I call and now they are just meaner than I thought they would be. It's a good thing because I was worried they wouldn't be able to protect the babies very well. They have already attacked me once and when they come at you they do not stop! lol I just want to get them moved so they will be a little safer.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Make sure you have some help, of the extra hands type. Good luck... I did it 10 days ago, just in time. We learn everyday around here. And "Chuckschickens" sorry about the snake
sickbyc.gif
Hope your Mama's get babies.

Back
Top Bottom