Moving to coop 10-20 Degree difference in temp

Pixie

Songster
11 Years
Dec 28, 2008
Lake County IL
I am trying to get my Rocks out to the barn this week as they are getting too destructive for my brooder.

The room they are in is about 68 without heatlamps / lighting. It is currently 58 in the coop. (Draft free and dry)

I cannot put heat lamps in the coop.

If I transport them in a two boxes and then let them acclimate for an hour or so in the box, would they be ok?

Last edited:
Are they feathered out? If so, there shouldn't be a problem. Last spring we moved our, then 3 week olds, out to the coop. Upper 30s at night. No problem.

There is a couple that have some straggling down sticking out of their necks. But they have feathers everywhere else.

I was worried about the drop in temp all at once.

A ten degree change isn't anything to worry about. I wouldn't bother with boxes, etc. I'd just put them in the coop.

Thing is, though, how cool is it going to get overnight? that would be my concern. if it's going to get down below say 45, I'd probably leave them in the coop for the day then bring them in at night, with no supplemental heat, for a day or so to harden them off.

I ended up not taking them out today. It was cloudy/rainy/chilly. It never got over 55. Tomorrow is the move date as of now. The distance from the house to the coop, (and the amount of them) is the thing that makes me NOT want to bring them in and out.

The weather is supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow. I am also getting them used to being in the dark longer. The basement has a lot of light and the barn gets dark at 6:30pm - 7:00 am now.

Thanks for the assistance everyone!
thumbsup.gif

Moved them out! So far so good. We will see how tonight goes.

Anyone notice that the last chick out of the brooder is the fastest chick in the flock? LOL 10 minutes trying to get the little bugger.

Moved them out! So far so good. We will see how tonight goes.

Anyone notice that the last chick out of the brooder is the fastest chick in the flock? LOL 10 minutes trying to get the little bugger.

Yes! That very last one can have me saying some creative words I can't post here, running around and around the waterer, etc. Buggers.

Back
Top Bottom