1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving to coop 10-20 Degree difference in temp

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pixie, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Pixie

Pixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    I am trying to get my Rocks out to the barn this week as they are getting too destructive for my brooder.

The room they are in is about 68 without heatlamps / lighting. It is currently 58 in the coop. (Draft free and dry)

I cannot put heat lamps in the coop.

If I transport them in a two boxes and then let them acclimate for an hour or so in the box, would they be ok?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Are they feathered out? If so, there shouldn't be a problem. Last spring we moved our, then 3 week olds, out to the coop. Upper 30s at night. No problem.

3. Pixie

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    There is a couple that have some straggling down sticking out of their necks. But they have feathers everywhere else.

I was worried about the drop in temp all at once.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A ten degree change isn't anything to worry about. I wouldn't bother with boxes, etc. I'd just put them in the coop.

Thing is, though, how cool is it going to get overnight? that would be my concern. if it's going to get down below say 45, I'd probably leave them in the coop for the day then bring them in at night, with no supplemental heat, for a day or so to harden them off.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pixie

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    I ended up not taking them out today. It was cloudy/rainy/chilly. It never got over 55. Tomorrow is the move date as of now. The distance from the house to the coop, (and the amount of them) is the thing that makes me NOT want to bring them in and out.

The weather is supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow. I am also getting them used to being in the dark longer. The basement has a lot of light and the barn gets dark at 6:30pm - 7:00 am now.

Thanks for the assistance everyone! [​IMG]

6. Pixie

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    Moved them out! So far so good. We will see how tonight goes.

Anyone notice that the last chick out of the brooder is the fastest chick in the flock? LOL 10 minutes trying to get the little bugger.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes! That very last one can have me saying some creative words I can't post here, running around and around the waterer, etc. Buggers.

8. Pixie

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    They all survived the night! [​IMG] I will sleep easier tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by