Moving with our pets from CA to AK how's?don'ts?and do's?

margaritas_105

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2020
Hello everyone 💐thank you for your time and advises in advance 💐
We are planning to move from CA to AK and there is no way I'm leaving my chickens, ducks, dogs or cats or bunnies behind! I've learned that moving dogs and cats or bunnies isn't that hard! Requirements for them are vet certificate basically clean bill of health and recent rabbies proof and updated Id tags and paperwork for it . Now as for chickens and ducks it's a whole different story!
-So I've heard you can take them by boat but I have no idea where to start with it?
-Did anyone moved successfully with their feathered family through Canada?
-If yes what did you have to do?

FB_IMG_1580089804445.jpg
picture is for laughs🤷☺️

I highly recommend speaking with someone in customs and having them send you the appropriate paperwork. Canada and Alaska will have their own sets of rules that differ from CA. Your poultry will need appropriate paperwork and testing for each place it passes through. With the relatively recent outbreak of newcastle's in CA there may be additional restrictions. If they are being transported by boat or airline whichever company you use will have their own set of rules as well, so once you decide who the carrier is (if it's not your personal vehicle) you will need to speak with someone at that company.

I highly recommend speaking with someone in customs and having them send you the appropriate paperwork. Canada and Alaska will have their own sets of rules that differ from CA. Your poultry will need appropriate paperwork and testing for each place it passes through. With the relatively recent outbreak of newcastle's in CA there may be additional restrictions. If they are being transported by boat or airline whichever company you use will have their own set of rules as well, so once you decide who the carrier is (if it's not your personal vehicle) you will need to speak with someone at that company.
Thank you very much 💐 I've already contacted Canadian customs and they suppose to email me info within 10 business days. And we are really far away from newscastle so hopefully we will be ok as far as outbreak issues but if not that's why I'm looking for any advice I want to cover every little thing possible!

I would use dog kennels— a couple hens to a large kennel, roosters separated. You can keep a food and water bowl in the kennel, and add bedding for easy cleaning. Just pull over every few hours to refill food & water, and try to keep it a straight shot from where you’re starting to where you’re going.
Thank you very much 💐 I've been collecting kennels already it seems to be best safest way to transport them in, we also will be securing them inside good roomy sized camper we will be towing behind our truck, that camper will be strictly for animal use, so when we park we can let them roam inside it a little to stretch their legs and before we head out put them back in kennels and make it dark in there so they think it's bed time and hopefully less stressful for them.

I moved from Missouri to Alaska a few years back and we drove through Canada. I didnt have chickens at the time but dogs, cats and 2 parrots. I looked through all the websites and found health certs were recommended for the furry ones but saw nothing anywhere relating to feathers. I actually didnt get health certs for anyone and Canada didn't care. However... when I got to Alaska, Border Patrol wanted health certs for my birds, not the dogs or cats. I explained that I had scoured the info available and never saw that as a requirement. They said they wouldn't let them in initially. Like, ok, so I will let my potentially "infected" birds loose outside then. Obviously, I would never. In the end they gave my info to the state vet to follow up with and let me go. I'm a vet tech and the assumption was my birds didn't have bird flu and I guess that I was responsible or trustworthy. State vet called me a month later and asked how things were, said fine, birds are still alive. He basically said ok, they obviously dont have bird flu at this point (or whatever condition they were worried about at the time).

If I were to do it again, health certs for everyone... also I would probably do the ferry. I hear it's pretty cool. If you decide to drive call both Canadian and US Border Patrol, explain where you are going and what you are bringing. I would call again closer to your travel date to make sure nothing has changed (also to make sure you get the same answer from 2 different people).

If you are going by ferry, call the ferry system and ask what requirements they have. It would likely depend on what ports you are docking in though it would mostly pertain to Alaska's rules, since they don't generally dock in Canada. Someone correct me if I am wrong. With the right preparation, you shouldn't have any problems. But like I said, I went through in 2015 with parrots instead of poultry. At the time, everyone cared more about if I had weapons or large amounts of cash. Not the animals, meds or the massive amount of crap in my trailer.

Good luck and you'll love it here! Bring a coat! 😉

Back
Top Bottom