Mucus and white lesions in mouth, please help

Pics
I took King Henry to the exotic vet today as there was no improvement at all after the 7 day treatment of Tylan.

The lesions have returned in his mouth but only a tiny amount can be seen and his face and eyes are still swollen.

The vet didn’t look over him as thoroughly as the first vet but said the plaque in his mouth indicated canker so he would need treatment for that.

He also thinks he still may have mycoplasma especially since 2 hens in my flock now have bubbly eyes (but have no other symptoms).

The vet said mycoplasma can take a long time to get over and he felt the 7 days of Tylan wasn’t long enough.

He gave me a 100g tub of Tylan and wants me to treat the flock again for 10 days.

King Henry’s medicine for his canker is metrobactin which is 250mg metronidazole per tablet. He has half a tablet twice a day for 10 days. This is much better, as the metronidazole I was able to get hold of myself was only 30mg per tablet so poor King Henry had to put up with 9 tablets a day.

I’m not sure what the next plan is if he doesn’t respond. He’s responded to the metronidazole before so hopefully he will this time and I hope the Tylan will finally work.

His ears look bunged up again and I asked the vet if I should try and clear them and he said to leave them. I think I will try though as I found the hydrogen peroxide very helpful when I used it last time.

King Henry and his girls have just started moulting too! Not what they need right now.

I will update again!
:hugs Hugs for you and King Henry. I hope the medication kicks in and he starts feeling better soon. Thank you for the update.

@Wyorp Rock and @casportpony I just wanted to update you both on King Henry and ask for advice again.....

I gave him the 5 day course of metronidazole and baytril back in May and his symptoms cleared up immediately. He was back to normal and very happy.

But I am now concerned again and I’m not sure if it is canker related, old age or something completely else. I don’t know if either of you can help but thought I would ask just in case.

Something seems wrong with his eyes now. I first realised last week when he walked into the ducks water bucket and got water all over his front. I had seen his front wet a few days before and wondered how that had happened and now I know he can’t see right. His eyes are not opening wide like they are supposed to.

He has no mucus or white/yellow growths in his mouth or throat. His ears are clear too. His appetite is fine and he is managing to eat slowly. His droppings are normal.

He does seem to drink more than normal and has a long drink when he first gets out of hen house in the morning.

He can see well enough to leave the garden and walk across the farmyard to the barn where he spends most of the day before returning in the afternoon for his treats.

He still crows but seems down, not his happy self.

I have given him one dose of antibiotic eye cream that I had for a duck but it didn’t make any difference so I didn’t continue.

I just don’t understand what is going on. Maybe it is just old age but I love him too much not to help him if I can.

Hi I'm facing the same yellow thing in mouth can you pls suggest how u give him medicine

Back
Top Bottom