Mucus in mouth

WylarnFarm

In the Brooder
May 25, 2018
Sycamore, Georgia
This morning my 5 month old Barred Rock hen was showing signs of lethargy. She was sitting quietly in the corner of the pen. I thought maybe she was trying to lay an egg as she hasn't laid one yet. But then she started shaking her chest and neck like she was gagging. Then I noticed thick, sticky, clear mucus around her beak. I cleaned out around the outside and she will drink a little water. Her crop is about the size of a small plum and is very firm. She doesn't seem to be in any distress if I massage it. She continues to be listless. Her comb is it's normal shade of red. I have also noticed that she keeps trying to chew/swallow whatever is in her mouth. Any advice would be much appreciated. I don't notice any foul odors.

It sounds like an impacted crop or gizzard. Give her tomato juice frequently via orally using an eyedropper or syringe without a needle. The tomato juice should get things moving.

I'll give this a try. Now I have to figure out how to make her drink from a syringe. :confused:
Draw 1/2cc of the liquid into the syringe. Have someone hold the hen for you. Then pull her wattles down and her mouth will open. Shoot 1/2cc in her mouth and immediately release her wattles so she swallow it on her own. If you dont quickly release her wattles, she can aspirate.
Your other option is to tube feed her, which might be better in this instance. See Casportpony's profile for instructions how to tube feed. Good luck :)

You might want to massage her crop several times a day, and offer water often to see if her crop empties. Adding electrolytes to the water while she is not eating much is good.

I'm happy to report that that Roxie seems much better today. She ate some bread soaked in olive oil before bedtime and was back to her normal self this morning. Very grateful for this community today!

Back
Top Bottom