Racoon attack, broken beak, thick mucus in mouth

Teatimetoad

Hatching
Jun 27, 2023
Hi. About a week and a half ago my hen got attacked by a racoon. I managed to save her from him even though he had her in his mouth. She had a head injury and a twisted jaw. Her eyes were swollen shut. I brought her back from the dead pretty much by cleaning her every day and nursing her wounds. Luckily no body wounds. Swelling went down, and her concussion and wry neck went away too. However she's really weak and she has very thick mucus in her mouth from day 1 and it won't go away. At first it was blood mixed with mucus. Looked equivalent of human sinus infection. Boogery yellowish goo. Now all day she had clear goo in her mouth and if I don't clean it it turns yellow. She had damage to her throat and tounge and half of her tongue fell off but her mouth healed nicely. I kept using olive oil to keep it lubricated since her beak was twisted.

I have to tube feed her and tube water her because she can't see yet her eyes haven't opened.

I gave her antibiotic and metacam for pain. She initially had a fever but we fought it off.

Idk what else I can do for her. Is the goo just saliva because of her cross beak? Is it from her air sac? I can't take her to the vet here because I have in the past and they forced me to euthanize my chicken after a possum got her leg. She could have been saved but the vets here don't care about chickens much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627_181210_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_181210_Gallery.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20230627_181159_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_181159_Gallery.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
What antibiotics have you tried? What dose?
Honestly, if she has a deep rooted infection or internal damage, it going to be hard to treat. It also very possibleshe could even have a brain infection in which, along with her missing tongue will give her a lack of quality of life.
I'd put her down if she were mine, I'm sorry.
I don't think there's any other options.

Back
Top Bottom