Mucus

Emfa3000

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Hello. I have a hen (chicken) who can't seem to be able to eat. She has mucus coming from her beak and inside it there is a greenish black area. It smells foul and she is drinking a lot of water. Is there some way I can treat this? She has lost a lot of weight and is trying to eat but is unable to.

You need to get some food into her is she eating more water than normal? If she is you should give her a little less There is a treatment. Sorry can not remember what it is called how long has she been like this? Get her away from any other chickens you should bring her inside and keep her warm

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
That chicken needs some antibiotics and quickly. If you can get some, Tylan 50 is very effective. If you have any other chickens in your flock, separate and quarantine this one immediately, so she doesn't make the others sick as well. Best of luck with her!

Last edited:
Make her eat it will just get worse.

Hand feed her if you need to but it will make it REALLY bad!

Does she have trouble swallowing food?

Hello. I have a hen (chicken) who can't seem to be able to eat. She has mucus coming from her beak and inside it there is a greenish black area. It smells foul and she is drinking a lot of water. Is there some way I can treat this? She has lost a lot of weight and is trying to eat but is unable to.
Foul smelling drainage and lesion inside mouth sounds like an abscess. Is there any sign of swelling on the outside of her face/throat?.

Agree she needs isolation, antibiotics and nutrition.

This is a true emergency, and I would suggest you also post your issue under emergencies forum and hopefully will get more advice or similar experiences. If you have someone to help, try to get a photo of the oral lesion to add to post.

Make sure she is getting water, If she won't drink, try an eyedropper and dribble it at the beak and see if she can swallow. Add water to feed to soften, and hand feed small amounts to see if she can eat.

If you have access to a vet, contact them.

I do welcome you to our group, wish it were a happy new member announcement, good wishes for your chicken's outcome.

Hope you will get help for her before it is too late. Really sounds bad to me. There is no way she would get over this on her own.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your sick hen.
hugs.gif
She won't make it without help. The above posters have given you some good advice as to what might be wrong, and I would definitely post about her in the Emergencies section of the forums.

Back
Top Bottom