Muddy’s Button Hatch and General Button Chat

Which one is crunchy jr? I just looked at the latest pictures and saw three males. I have seen my males randomly sit on eggs, but it was more that was the spot they wanted be and the eggs just happened to be there.
i had thought that maybe he just favored that spot, but he was scooting the eggs under him just like a broody hen.....made me think that maybe he had chosen a mate?? I have 4 hens that are laying and then 3 males, 3 hens from latest hatch. they get mealworms 1-2x daily and i haven’t really noticed a male giving them up to a female yet

Thanks for the tag!

I had a bit of trouble from my buttons over winter. It was a ridiculously mild winter even by my standards still on the one hard freeze i lost most of them. I think they were too young. The hard freeze only lasted about 4 hours but that was too much even in the compleatly draftless aquarium on my back porch. They were about 10 wks old. Low was like 28*

Still i have a pair and one of those is solid white :love i cant wait to get em rolling again. I only read back a few posts but i see muddy youve had trouble with the differences in husbandry vs the cots. It is a whole nother ball game. Theyre just not domesticated and thats what i was completely accustomed to for so long. That simple fact is a huge difference.

@R2elk do/did u have buttons? I didnt know

wildest thing just happened......dh told me he thought I had my genders wrong so i looked in the cage and “crunchy jr” was sitting on todays eggs!! he didn’t sit for very long but it was definitely interesting.....guess i should think about a fertility check?? @mixedUPturk @blackoaktammy @Nabiki

Forgot to respond to this. Im totally in favor of checking!

crunchy jr is the runt and the closest to benjamin button in colors.... @Kiki named him crunchy jr because of his “runt” status at hatch :D
If he's close to Benjamin in color, then he's a boy. :) males always have some blue feathering. They usually have red vents, but occasionally you'll get a hen with a few red butt feathers.

i had thought that maybe he just favored that spot, but he was scooting the eggs under him just like a broody hen.....made me think that maybe he had chosen a mate?? I have 4 hens that are laying and then 3 males, 3 hens from latest hatch. they get mealworms 1-2x daily and i haven’t really noticed a male giving them up to a female yet
You can always set him up with a hen alone that looks like she is going broody and see what they do. For the most part they make horrible parents, but occasionally you will get a successful pair. My mother had a hen in the 80s that would sit on her eggs and raise the chicks, but that is the only hen I've had personal experience with that was a good mother. I do know a gal in England that has phenomenal success.

Back
Top Bottom