Multi/Bilingual Language Thread

What Language(s) Do You Speak? :0

• Total voters
Just FYI, DuoLingo is a decent extra practice, but I wouldn't use it as the only source for learning a language. I noticed a lot of stuff in the Japanese course that was very incomplete. Several example in DuoLingo, while used, were not the common use for a phrase or word. Take a class or get some highly rated books in addition. The books/classes will help you understand the syntax, while DuoLingo will help you get in the habit of using them.
Yes…
My biggest issue with it is it doesn’t teach you any grammar.
For Polish, for example, there’s like five different endings for one adjective and they don’t bother to tell you what endings to use with what nouns.
I ended up downloading a course that had been created at least fifty years ago for wannabe diplomats to Poland, and using that to try to figure out grammar.
How long does it take you with duolingo? I started out with that, but after two weeks of trying to complete 2 stones and going no where I switched.
It takes a long time! but any method of learning is going to take awhile. When I find that the material’s too easy I jump ahead. I think their best course is Spanish.
I was debating on learning Latin, but considering it is sort of a dead language, is it worth it?
I think Latin is worth it because at least 60% of English words are derived from Latin, so knowing Latin helps you figure out an English word without necessarily needing a dictionary. This is especially helpful when you get to college.
Learning Latin also helps with other romance languages like Spanish, Italian, etc. because many Latin words are the same or very similar in those languages. If you just learn, Italian for example, you haven’t exactly got a head start on Spanish vocabulary except in the grammar. But Benjamin Franklin thought opposite, so maybe you should try Italian first :).

Basically, Duolingo will only teach you certain words and phrases. As you progress to higher levels, the words will become slightly repetitive, and the phrases will start getting odd, and very unnatural. I can't really say that Duolingo, or any of the language apps teaches you colloquial language, since even that has its own complexities and idiosyncrasies. These apps are merely fun and interactive language play, a means to brush up on simpler phrases. IMHO, they cannot replace structured lessons performed by an actual teacher, nor do they lead to language acquisition by themselves

annyeonghaseyo! mannaseo bangawoyo!
I am learning Korean! When I found this thread I was wondering does anyone else have tips on Korean?!
Also, duolingo is okay, but for Korean, it starts by teaching me all the letters and I just get bored because it takes forever and sends a hundred thousand emails a day. I switched to lingohut and am finally learning something! I do go back and forth sometime though!
EDIT I’m really interested in learning several languages. What y’all’s experience with that as well?
I started with Korean because I like Korean dramas and Blackpink 😂
For me i’m learning French and Russian. (I know some Welsh and Cherokee/Navajo. But primarily i’m focusing on French and Russian.)

My best advice to you is not to go overboard with a lot of languages. There are so many that it’s overwhelming, but certain languages click easier for certain people. For an example. I’ve been learning Spanish for years and even took in person classes, yet i’ve retained nearly nothing and i couldn’t even begin a conversation in Spanish. I know a few words if even that.

But for French? I could carry out quite a few conversations, and i’ve just recently started learning.

My point: Find one that actually clicks with you and that you enjoy learning.

For me i’m learning French and Russian. (I know some Welsh and Cherokee/Navajo. But primarily i’m focusing on French and Russian.)

My best advice to you is not to go overboard with a lot of languages. There are so many that it’s overwhelming, but certain languages click easier for certain people. For an example. I’ve been learning Spanish for years and even took in person classes, yet i’ve retained nearly nothing and i couldn’t even begin a conversation in Spanish. I know a few words if even that.

But for French? I could carry out quite a few conversations, and i’ve just recently started learning.

My point: Find one that actually clicks with you and that you enjoy learning.
I totally agree! I have read several books, took language classes for two years, I know maybe five or six words of Spanish. I took French for a few months as well, but I stopped, and now I am learning Lorean and it is a lot easier than learning any other language I have tried. When I listen to k dramas, I don’t know what they are saying, but I can feel what they are talking about, if that makes sense.
It feels like I can understand the emotions within the actual definition.

Screenshot_20240307_215817_Gallery.jpg
smiley hammer.gif
Έλα εδώ και θα σου πω. Έχω ετοιμάσει και την ψησταριά ειδικά για σ'ένα.

Google translate at your own will😇

Back
Top Bottom