Multi flock feed question

chick72

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
Sorry if duplicated. I wasn't sure if I posted in the appropriate place earlier. @Rural-urbanite Could sav-a-chick electrolytes & probiotics be used in conjunction with multi flock feed for silkie chicks? I am concerned about their getting an overdose of vitamins (especially vitamin E). See attached link...scroll halfway down the page and click Nutritional information for ingredients. Chicks are between 2 and 5 days old. Thank you for your help.

The main reason to use electrolytes after the initial recovery-from-shipping period is during the stress of extreme weather.

I give my chickens electrolytes about once a week in hot-for-my-climate weather, that is 95F and up. I also give them electrolytes if the temperature spikes unexpectedly earlier in the season before they've acclimated.

IIRC, @aart also uses electrolytes in extreme cold.

My main reason for sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics was from reading the forums. These two were late hatch chicks from an incubator that needs some tweaking. They were rambunctious and full of life but a bit wobbly in the beginning, so I gave vitamin B complex as others have suggested. The chicks seemed to correct the problems on their own for the most part with the help of vitamin B. I added the electrolytes, probiotics, and an occasional drop of nutri-drench for good measure. I was giving them Dumor chick starter/grower, but I had some Multi flock feed here I had originally purchased for guineas. When I compared the labels, it seemed like these little ones could use the extra boost from the Multi flock but I didn't want to overdo the vitamins. That's why I asked. Yesterday, I did start giving plain water and might add the probiotics back in. They are doing well. Anyone else think the Multi flock crumbles are huge? Or maybe my chicks are just tiny? Check out their size here. Pip n Zip enjoying their nipple waterer The food dish you see in the video is the bottom of a pudding cup for size reference (they like to stand in it one at a time). Pip has often been seen jumping onto the Hippo's head and standing there.

They are doing well. Anyone else think the Multi flock crumbles are huge? Or maybe my chicks are just tiny?
If the chicks are eating them ok they're probably fine, however if you're worried about the size of crumbles (different brands can be different sizes) you can crush them in a spice grinder or food processor, or you can try serving them some wet feed (just mix in water until you get a pretty thick, oatmeal consistency) - it may take them a few days to come around to eating wet feed but a lot of chickens enjoy it, and the water will break down the crumble into mush very quickly.

As far as too many vitamins (which you're right, can be an issue), a little extra right now at the start should be ok until you're sure they're settled in and developing well (like I like giving Nutri-Drench in the water for the first 5 days or so, just to make sure the chicks are stable). You can discontinue the extra additives at that point.

Back
Top Bottom