Multicoloured egg?

Holland89

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Essex County, Ontario, Canada
Afternoon everyone,

My Swedish Isbar (roughly 6m old) started laying today and her egg, which should be a solid olive green has a blue band around it. I was wondering if this is a first time laying fluke? I'm not overly worried just curious. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200929_154106.jpg
    20200929_154106.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 33
How unique! You might blow that out and make a Christmas ornament with it.

The base color of that egg shell is blue. If you open an olive egg and remove the membrane inside you will see that the shell is blue underneath. What makes it olive instead of blue is that the hen lays a brown coating on the egg after the egg is finished but is still in the shell gland.

She just had an issue putting that brown coating on. No big deal. You can get all kinds of strange things, especially when a pullet is just starting to lay. That's just another one. I think it would be neat if she would keep doing that but she'll probably correct the problem.

Have you cracked them open? Are the inside of the shell the color of the stripe?
Some of my EE's have a brighter blue on the inside of their shells or even a green egg with blue on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom