Multiple day feeder/waterer for mixed flock

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
Hi there!

I currently have 20 chickens and two ducks. Might get more in the spring but I’m looking for ideas on feeders/waterers that will last for a couple days at least. Looking at taking some weekend trips this year and hoping to not have to hire a pet sitter.

We currently have two galvanized trough feeders which work well but looking for a more weather proof idea and something that will hold a bit more.

We have a kiddie pool that will last awhile but tends to get muddy in no time so looking for something to keep clean water longer. We also have a black rubber dish but same situation. 🦆

What I use for water would work well for you. It's a 20 gallon tote with horizontal nipples. Add a stock tank deicer to that and you've got thawed clean water for winter. AT -35 this winter the water was thawed but 2 out of the 3 nipples had iced up and required jiggling to get them open again. A couple of those would keep your flock in water while you take off for the weekend. For food I use Little Giant Plastic Domed feeders. One holds 60 pounds and the other 45 pounds. That way I can put out 100 pounds at a time and that will last my flock quite some time in winter. They probably won't satisfy your requirement of being weather proof. My run is covered so I don't have to worry about rain. I assume you mean okay in rain. Your galvanized troughs would seem to work if you build a roof over them.

71czG3o-t8L.jpg

Those type of feeder are rat buffets and they allow feed raking. Start googling chicken feeder reviews, then toss out any advice that comes with an Amazon link as those are the commission sellers lining their pockets. Most are honest about admitting they are getting paid, many are not, but the direct link to Amazon can be compared to the organic link you find by searching directly on Amazon. Any difference means it is a commission generating link.

Back
Top Bottom