Multiple Duck Breeds

DAplin

Hatching
Aug 29, 2023
Hello! We currently have 4 Pekin Ducks and as luck would have it 3 of them are males. They were born on Easter so still fairly young. My poor girl Reba cannot catch a break - the guys Merle, Johnny and George will not give her any space. We are looking to add some more females asap. My question is this - what is the best ratio male to female and what is your opinion about multiple breeds? We are looking other good breeds for eggs. We originally got the ducks for their eggs and well just because I love them. I would love to hear your feedback.

:welcome The best ratio is at least 3-4 females for each drake. More if you can do it. And most likely the boys won't care what breed you get but I would go with large breed since your drakes are Pekin. White layers are popular and are a bit smaller than Pekin but not enough that a big boy would hurt one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-breed-focus-project.1024526/

in the meantime you could move Reba into her own space where they can all see each other so she won't be lonely. Love the names too. Plus when you bring home new females you are going to want to introduce them slowly so having Reba with her own space means she can get to know the girls before you put them in with the boys.

:welcome The best ratio is at least 3-4 females for each drake. More if you can do it. And most likely the boys won't care what breed you get but I would go with large breed since your drakes are Pekin. White layers are popular and are a bit smaller than Pekin but not enough that a big boy would hurt one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-breed-focus-project.1024526/

in the meantime you could move Reba into her own space where they can all see each other so she won't be lonely. Love the names too. Plus when you bring home new females you are going to want to introduce them slowly so having Reba with her own space means she can get to know the girls before you put them in with the boys.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
yes please give your girl her own space. The boys can accidentally injure or kill her. And yes, I agree introduce the new girls to your female first for at least couple of weeks with her in my opinion. (probably from when they're ready to go outside until they're ready to be with drakes) and be a few months actually ...And wait until they are almost of age to lay eggs (4-5 months) before they are with the drakes, or they can be injured as well.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
yes please give your girl her own space. The boys can accidentally injure or kill her. And yes, I agree introduce the new girls to your female first for at least couple of weeks with her in my opinion. (probably from when they're ready to go outside until they're ready to be with drakes) and be a few months actually ...And wait until they are almost of age to lay eggs (4-5 months) before they are with the drakes, or they can be injured as well.
I was thinking they were interested in adult females. But your advise on bringing ducklings in is good advise.

I would try to find adult females, that way your girl doesn't have to wait so long for companionship - and you'll need several if you plan to keep all of those males. You should definitely separate her so the males don't injure or kill her by their attentions.

Back
Top Bottom