Multispecies Flock

reptichick

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2017
I would really like to have a variety of poultry in my flock, they would all have separate coops to escape to and sleep in, but I would like to have them all out in a large area with a high wooden fence during the day. Would the following mix of species create disease/aggression problems?
Chickens
Ducks
Guinea Fowl
Peafowl
Geese
Emus
(I was originally considering turkey and pheasants as well but was informed against it)

Ideally they would all be raised together.

Last edited:
Every critter can have a unique personality. I have raised Turkeys, Muscovy Ducks, Khaki Campbell Ducks, Guineas, Embden Geese and several breeds of chickens. I use several large chicken tractors and they all free ranged together and each tractor had a mix of breeds. For the most part it worked, I did however have some problems.

In one cage I had mix chickens and Khaki Cambell ducks. A Chicken went broody and hatched out some chicks, everyone in that tractor got along, but during free range time I had a turkey go into that cage and kill all the chicks. I didn't expect that, the turkeys grew up around chickens and they never bothered the chickens. The turkeys were midget whites.

Guineas were also a problem. For several years I raised guineas and chickens together, then for whatever reason two years ago the guineas decided they hated roosters and would harass and fight any rooster. They had to be seperated. They only went after the roosters, and while they were the top dogs in their cage they didn't really bother the hens. Since that time I have not mixed guineas and chickens.

Another problem I had was a rooster fighting with the Khaki Campbell drake.

If you have separate coops for each and the area they are ranging in is large enough and they are raised together I think it would work. I did it for years and the problems I had I have mentioned. Everyone's experience can be different due to the critters personality, the environment and other factors.

I never had a problem with Muscoveys and chickens running together. Turkeys mixed with chickens are not a good idea due to blackhead. Chickens can be a vector for blackhead.

I have no first hand experience with emus or pheasants.

Thanks so much for the info! I was planning on having all females as far as the chickens and guineas as concerned, do you think that would prevent fighting? Also I don't want to mix any chicks in together with the adult birds after the flock is established because that just seems too risky with there being different species. Thanks for the warning about chickens and turkeys, I will exclude turkeys from any future flock!

Blackhead is very prone to certain areas. If it's in your area might not be a good idea to have chickens and turkeys together.

But I keep my chickens and turkeys together. No issues so far. I'm from Mo. As well.

My biggest issue is an over amorous tom may attempt to breed a hen and I end up with a flattened hen.

Good luck with your mixed flock

Back
Top Bottom