Murray Mcmurray Salmon Faverolles ~ClickCluckMoo

Howdy y'all!

My 4-H club decided to order chicks early this year so that we can get first and best picks. I am so excited!
woot.gif

This year, I want to get a Salmon Faverolle, hopefully a hen. We are getting our chicks from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery and I have had a few chicks that aren't quite show standard from that hatchery. I was wondering if anyone on here has Salmon Faverolles from Murray Mcmurray, and if they meet the breed standards good enough for 4-H showing. I would love pictures, descriptions, and even tips about keeping them!

Thanks much!

~ClickCluckMoo~

Last edited:
We are getting our chicks from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery and I have had a few chicks that aren't quite show standard from that hatchery. I was wondering if anyone on here has Salmon Faverolles from Murray Mcmurray, and if they meet the breed standards good enough for 4-H showing.
Well, none of the major hatcheries produce birds that are close to any breed standard. How close do they need to be for 4H? I'm assuming they just need to look like a Faverolles, and it's more about the handling?

I don't have experience with McMurray's Favs, but you may want to check out this thread and contact the OP about the ones he got from them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1118402/salmon-faverolles-from-mcmurray-hatchery

For giggles a couple of years ago I raised some from Meyer alongside my breeder birds. They weren't bad, but they were small (half the size of mine). Toes, wing and tailsets were good on all, a few had dark beards but certainly not all. I know people who have had good luck with Cackles birds also though I have not seen any in person.

Too bad you are on the other side of the country. I'd give you a few to work with.

How many did you order? Sexed or straight run? I know you are hoping for a pullet, but many Fav cockerels are easy to work with as well as being quite good looking.

Yes, I know that large hatcheries aren't necessarily the best places for good show birds. But there are no major breeders near us, so we are kind of stuck with hatchery chicks. But I was actually surprised this year when a Silver Laced Polish of mine got Grand Champion Quality at the State Fair. Maybe I was lucky...?
My 4-H leader already announced that we are ordering from Murray Mcmurray and Dunlap. She had some reasons, shipping or something, but I forgot them. I will ask about using other hatcheries in the future, though.
We haven't ordered yet, but when we do, I will get just one chicken and it will be a sexed pullet. But sexing isn't always accurate...my winning Polish was supposed to be a she but turned out as a he. I personally love roos, my parents just won't let me keep any more "useless" birds. Useless meaning not producing eggs. Oh well.
Thanks so much for the help!

~ClickCluckMoo~

Back
Top Bottom