Muscovy Caruncle Falling Off?

MissCJ

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
California
Hello everyone!!

I have a 2 year old Muscovy hen named Evie (the princess of the mini-farm over here) and it appears that her caruncle bean located on the very tip of her face is falling off? It is only attached in one spot, which is very thin. She hasn't injured it and it isn't bugging her, she is also active and eating fine, but I have noticed that the caruncle bean appears to be gradually losing a blood supply and it is starting to detach as well, (the best description I can come up with is that it's almost like when they band calves for castration, except I haven't done any sort of banding). Has anyone experienced this before? If so, is there anything I should keep an eye out for or have on hand? Thanks so much in advance for any guidance!

Do you have a picture? I haven't seen anything like that on my muscovy, and cannot really imagine what you are seeing.

Thanks for checking in "oldhenlikesdogs". I've attached a picture, don't mind her dirty face she just got done enjoying a mud hole ;)

I've drawn an arrow to show exactly where it continues to thin out. I apply an antibiotic cream (with no pain reliever) to it every other night to help with any healing. The picture also shows how it's losing its color in comparison to the rest of her caruncle mask.
IMG_0720.JPG

Well that's weird. Almost think it's a tumor of some sort. Beyond that I have no idea. Hopefully some other muscovy owners might have a clue. She's a pretty duck. Maybe you could find a vet to snip it off.

Thanks for getting back to me :) I'm fairly certain that it may not be a tumor, but just part of her caruncle but I'll keep an extra eye on it just in case.

If it doesn't fall off on its own soon or if it becomes troublesome and/or her behaviors change, I will definitely contact a vet about removing it.

I'd just keep watch like your doing if it falls off and there isn't infection it will probably be fine. Putting the antibiotic cream on is a good idea. I have no idea why it's happening unless at one time she may have stuck her head in something she shouldn't have and it sliced it.

a few of my Muscovy's have had frost bit on their knobs over the years but so far all have remained intact.

Let us know how it goes with her.

@RoosterCogburn7 --my two Muscovies and chicken hens share a divided coop, so they aren't together when cooped but they do free-range together.

@Miss Lydia --thanks for the advice!! I'll be sure to keep you posted on it. My only thought for it occurring is that the connection site for the "bean" is incredibly thin and only in one spot, and perhaps just with daily movement it is causing the connection site to become even thinner? We shall see! There's always something new to learn ;)

@RoosterCogburn7 --my two Muscovies and chicken hens share a divided coop, so they aren't together when cooped but they do free-range together.

@Miss Lydia --thanks for the advice!! I'll be sure to keep you posted on it. My only thought for it occurring is that the connection site for the "bean" is incredibly thin and only in one spot, and perhaps just with daily movement it is causing the connection site to become even thinner? We shall see! There's always something new to learn ;)

Waterfowl and chickens should be separated from each other with more than a divider, they can give each other diseases.

Back
Top Bottom