Muscovy Duck laying habits

rosemary10

Chirping
Aug 24, 2017
Hey everyone!!!
So last spring I got a mother Muscovy and a clutch of eggs!!! She hatched them all and they all made it through the winter! So now I have 4 hens and 2 drakes who all get along amazingly well. But.... I haven't gotten a single egg from any of them:/ they should all be old enough, the babies are now 10 months old. I thought maybe it was because winter this year was horrible (stretches of -35 degree farenheit here in Minnesota) but we've had a couple nice weeks of above freezing and still nothing!!! Today both drakes mounted the same hen though so I'm thinking maybe she's getting ready? Also what's their process for building a nest? I've always wondered but could never find anything on it!! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

My Muscovies haven't started laying yet either. They are seasonal layers so they start in spring and lay into fall then take off the winter. If you beginning to see mating you'll see eggs anywhere from 2-4 weeks from now.

My Muscovies haven't started laying yet either. They are seasonal layers so they start in spring and lay into fall then take off the winter. If you beginning to see mating you'll see eggs anywhere from 2-4 weeks from now.
When should I let them sit then? I'm new to ducks so any help would be amazing!!!!

Hi @rosemary10! :welcome
I don't have muscovys yet, but will be getting some soon. This a good place to find knowledgeable owners.

Last edited:
Muscovies are very broody ducks so if you want them to sit just leave their eggs in their nest[nests usually consist of the bedding you use for them.] Mine do like privacy when brooding so if you can give them something inside their coop a board leaning against the wall and attached can work, I make little rooms in the coop and mine use them. Once it gets time to hatch I make a temp door and put food and water in so mom and ducklings aren't subjected to the other birds for a while gives the ducklings time to bond with mama and get strong. Sometimes the other flock members aren't kind to new hatchlings. Especially drakes.

We had Muscovies several years ago and the females always chose some place private to lay their eggs. They also like elevated nesting sites. One of the hens made her nest in a drain pipe under our road in the front. The other laid her eggs in the crook of a huge silver leaf maple tree. They make wonderful broody mamas!

Best to keep them inside and secure if at all possible. I do have a few scovy girls that like to use the chickens nest boxes they are elevated but most lay in the shavings.

So I posted this over a month ago and I'm still not getting eggs! The males are still mating them but my girls just aren't having it! I haven't switched their food and it's food that is meant specifically for laying ducks... it is cold here as I'm in Minnesota but my friends muscovys are laying, why aren't mine?

What is your drake to female ratio? and are you absolutely sure they aren't laying? mine are the best at hiding matter of fact today when cleaning I was using the pitch fork after picking up the wet poo and low and behold there were 2 eggs hidden so well didn't even look like anyone had made a nest spot there. Keep them inside till around 8am a few mornings just for an experiment .

What is your drake to female ratio? and are you absolutely sure they aren't laying? mine are the best at hiding matter of fact today when cleaning I was using the pitch fork after picking up the wet poo and low and behold there were 2 eggs hidden so well didn't even look like anyone had made a nest spot there. Keep them inside till around 8am a few mornings just for an experiment .
2 drakes and 4 hens, but one of my drakes isn't very interested in mating yeah in the winter I keep them locked in the run/coop. I will have to look under the straw... I didn't know they hide their eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom