Muscovy duck Q&A

Pics
Where is this nest inside a secure building or out in the open? My Muscovy's have never  destroyed their nests nor eaten their eggs so I am thinking you have some kind of predator.  How are your scovy's acting? Do you have a game camera? 

In a nesting box inside of a coop my coop has a big door to enter in and on the other side a square cutout for them to have access to a large yard " run" that is fully enclosed with chicken wire ceiling and walls and the walls of chicken wire are buried a foot under ground. There are 2 small tunnels in this run that it seems like a mouse or something has gained access to,. But not big enough to haul off an egg
During the day I open big door and they free range at night they go into coop and I close big door and they either remain in coop or venture into the protected fenced in yard

In a nesting box inside of a coop my coop has a big door to enter in and on the other side a square cutout for them to have access to a large yard " run" that is fully enclosed with chicken wire ceiling and walls and the walls of chicken wire are buried a foot under ground. There are 2 small tunnels in this run that it seems like a mouse or something has gained access to,. But not big enough to haul off an egg
During the day I open big door and they free range at night they go into coop and I close big door and they either remain in coop or venture into the protected fenced in yard
Chicken wire will not keep out predators It will only keep birds inside but raccoons can and will reach through the wire and grab a duck by the neck and try to pull it through the fence which means you may find a headless duck one morning. Weasels and Minks can get through a 1" opening and I have heard raccoons and other preds can rip open chicken wire. The best way to protect is using hardware wire[cloth] expensive but it can either be put from bottom 3' up all sides and gate or used solely all over.

You'll need someone who does bator hatching.. I just let my females do it.

@RavynFallen

@Ren2014
I'm not familiar with it but I like the cooling mechanism. Good luck

Something could still be coming through the tunnel and eating the eggs. I hope you find out what's going on real soon. I recently invested in a small game cam. It's the greatest for trying to solve mysteries
smile.png

Chicken wire will not keep out predators It will only keep birds inside but raccoons can and will reach through the wire and grab a duck by the neck and try to pull it through the fence which means you may find a headless duck one morning. Weasels and Minks can get through a 1" opening and I have heard raccoons and other preds can rip open chicken wire. The best way to protect is using hardware wire[cloth] expensive but it can either be put from bottom 3' up all sides and gate or used solely all over.
X2

So,. I have my homemade incubator and I'm not sure how to keep it perfect at 100 degrees,. It keeps fluctuating between 97 and 102 with 99 and 100 being the most consistant

No incubator stays perfectly constant. Heaters kick on, and kick off. As long as your basic average works out, then you should be fine. No extreme hot times, no extreme low times. Even when your thermometer dips, the eggs stay more constant. :)

Back
Top Bottom