Muscovy Duck Roost

jbeal9

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
This is my first year raising ducks. I had always heard that ducks roost on the ground but my Muscovy ducks like to roost up high. Examples: the roof of my car, the back steps, my husband's work trailer, and even the garage roof.:barnieUnfortunately, for that reason, I can't let them free range my property anymore and have confined them in a fenced area with access to the back half of my chicken house. The first night I went out to close up the coop, and found they were roosting on top of the chicken house, not inside where the roost is. :he Winter is coming on and I can't imagine they will do very well up there over night. Any ideas on how to get them to roost inside? Also, I'm astonished that they can get themselves up that high! These are big, heavy birds!
Thanks!

Any ideas on how to get them to roost inside?

Lure them in with food/treats, and shut the door? (Either do that each evening, or shut them in for multiple days.) Works with chickens, probably would with ducks. I guarantee they will not roost on the roof while shut inside! But I don't know how easy it is to re-train them so they go inside of their own accord.

Clip their wings so they can’t get up high . My Muscovy would also get on top of the coop I’d have to get the hose set the nozzle for high speed and blast them off finally I clipped wings and since yours aren’t free ranging I see no problem with them having a clipped wing.

Clip their wings so they can’t get up high . My Muscovy would also get on top of the coop I’d have to get the hose set the nozzle for high speed and blast them off finally I clipped wings and since yours aren’t free ranging I see no problem with them having a clipped wing.
I don't know how to do that :confused:

wing_clip_diagram2.jpg

I straddle my duck facing out pull out the wing and clip. Holding them between your knees leaves both hands free.

As for duck training..that’s pretty easy..as NatJ said use treats and shut the door... honestly, my ducks know when it’s bedtime..when it gets dark..and start quacking at the house...if I’m inside..lol...then we follow each other to the pen..even works with babies...the first few nights might be hard..but then they know the routine..I have 43 ducks and I use les than 1/2 to get than in the pen..they love routine! And yes..those heavy birds can fly straight up..crazy

As for duck training..that’s pretty easy..as NatJ said use treats and shut the door... honestly, my ducks know when it’s bedtime..when it gets dark..and start quacking at the house...if I’m inside..lol...then we follow each other to the pen..even works with babies...the first few nights might be hard..but then they know the routine..I have 43 ducks and I use les than 1/2 to get than in the pen..they love routine! And yes..those heavy birds can fly straight up..crazy
Less than 1/2 cup I meant to say..oops

Clipping wings is like giving their feathers a haircut, but only on one side--that way they cannot balance properly when they fly, so they don't go as high. Miss Lydia has a nice illustration of which feathers to cut (the green ones, and optionally the yellow ones.)
I think I can do that !

Back
Top Bottom