Muscovy Duckling Not Walking

EvilBandit

Chirping
Apr 17, 2022
Houston, Texas
Hellođź‘‹

I’ve got a less than a day old Muscovy duckling that doesn’t seem to be able to walk although the rest of its brood can. It can swim perfectly fine, but on land it barely moves. When it does, it seems to drag itself around.

Does anyone know what’s going on and how I can care for this little fella? I’m afraid it won’t be able to bring itself to food or water.

Thank you!

(I’ve attached a picture of it sitting down. It seems to be sitting on its behind rather than its legs. (This is just after it swam, so that’s why it’s on the pavement)).

Attachments

• B3D35ACA-C54C-4663-AAF9-3BE13260C9B7.jpeg
    B3D35ACA-C54C-4663-AAF9-3BE13260C9B7.jpeg
    916.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Update: It spends most of its time sleeping since it can't move around very much. It also appears to have a slight head tremor. It's not shivering because the rest of its body isn't moving. It seems isolated to the head. Could this possibly be due to neurological issues?

Hellođź‘‹

I’ve got a less than a day old Muscovy duckling that doesn’t seem to be able to walk although the rest of its brood can. It can swim perfectly fine, but on land it barely moves. When it does, it seems to drag itself around.

Does anyone know what’s going on and how I can care for this little fella? I’m afraid it won’t be able to bring itself to food or water.

Thank you!

(I’ve attached a picture of it sitting down. It seems to be sitting on its behind rather than its legs. (This is just after it swam, so that’s why it’s on the pavement)).
Looks like this could be splayed legs, is he with mama or being hand raised?

Update: It spends most of its time sleeping since it can't move around very much. It also appears to have a slight head tremor. It's not shivering because the rest of its body isn't moving. It seems isolated to the head. Could this possibly be due to neurological issues?
Is the duckling wet, is it being kept warm?

Can the duckling stand up at all if it can where are its legs? splayed out to the side or under like normal?
You'll have to place feed and water close so it can eat and drink. And nothing too deep since you don't want it to launch itself into water and not be able to get out. @EvilBandit are you in south Florida because there is a muscovy haven there that will most likely take the duckling and care for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom