Muscovy ducks and laying eggs

The Cobb Farm

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2017
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I could use some advice. I have three Muscovy ducks.. one male and two females. the females have been laying eggs for about 3 months now and in the beginning I would go out in their Coop every morning and collect the eggs and they really didn't seem to care what I was doing. but recently it seems that the females have been trying to lay on the eggs and hatch the eggs (which I am not ready for) so now when I go to collect the eggs the females scene to get really Disturbed and upset when I take them away. they have even tried to lay them in secret spots to where I cannot find the eggs. I've noticed after I have removed the eggs they still seem to look around for them.

My question is, is there something I can do To relieve their stress from when I take the eggs? Maybe put some unfertilized eggs in there laying box? I am starting to feel guilty and their motherly instincts are kicking in to where they want these eggs to become babies.

Join the club I have had Muscovy's since 2004 and every year I go through this. But if given the chance Muscovy's will take of the world because they love to brood. I always feel bad for taking the eggs away every morning but I still do it and they do eventually get over it. We can't humanize them though They really will get over it. Although one year one of my females brooded from April till Sept on nothing. I tried everything possible to make her stop nothing worked so I finally just gave up and let her go. Made sure she came out daily to eat but just let her do her own thing. Tough love isn't easy but until your ready for them to hatch just keep on doing what your doing.

Join the club I have had Muscovy's since 2004 and every year I go through this. But if given the chance Muscovy's will take of the world because they love to brood. I always feel bad for taking the eggs away every morning but I still do it and they do eventually get over it. We can't humanize them though They really will get over it. Although one year one of my females brooded from April till Sept on nothing. I tried everything possible to make her stop nothing worked so I finally just gave up and let her go. Made sure she came out daily to eat but just let her do her own thing. Tough love isn't easy but until your ready for them to hatch just keep on doing what your doing.

is it a crazy idea to let her lay on eggs that cant hatch?

I just go in and stir the nest material all up so it doesn't look like a nest any long sometime add new bedding. Doesn't always work though.

I have let mine sit on fake eggs but brooding is rough on them but mine will also sit on nothing. You just have to make sure they come out and eat and take care of themselves.

Hello,

I could use some advice. I have three Muscovy ducks.. one male and two females. the females have been laying eggs for about 3 months now and in the beginning I would go out in their Coop every morning and collect the eggs and they really didn't seem to care what I was doing. but recently it seems that the females have been trying to lay on the eggs and hatch the eggs (which I am not ready for) so now when I go to collect the eggs the females scene to get really Disturbed and upset when I take them away. they have even tried to lay them in secret spots to where I cannot find the eggs. I've noticed after I have removed the eggs they still seem to look around for them.

My question is, is there something I can do To relieve their stress from when I take the eggs? Maybe put some unfertilized eggs in there laying box? I am starting to feel guilty and their motherly instincts are kicking in to where they want these eggs to become babies.
If you use a nesting box that as soon as they lay the eggs they roll out of sight, they might not be as sad and confused.

Back
Top Bottom