Muscovy Ducks & First Eggs

AeonsMusings

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
We have a small flock of 12 birds (2 drakes, 10 hens). For the most part, our drakes have their own ladies and they treat each other, and their gals, very nicely. They’ve been playing hop on top with their gals for two months now, and everyone was born the start of the second to last week of June so they’ll be eight months in just a few short days. I’ve been told muscovies don’t generally start laying until they’re roughly 7.5 months old so I’m not too worried it’s an age thing, but in y’all’s experience what’s usually the hold up with eggs once they “come of age?”

We feed purina flock raiser crumbles, they do get free choice oyster shell, and are occasionally given scratch grains. For the most part they free range all day and we put the fermented feed in for them in the evening as part of their “come home” routine.

Maybe just the time of year? My two Muscovy girls were also June hatchlings. They waited until April of the following year to lay their first eggs. I live decently far north in a place where it is gray virtually all winter. Maybe your crew just needs more sunlight? None of mine have even thought about starting to lay for the season if that makes you feel better! Once they start to make nests, you’ll know it’s almost time :)

Maybe just the time of year? My two Muscovy girls were also June hatchlings. They waited until April of the following year to lay their first eggs. I live decently far north in a place where it is gray virtually all winter. Maybe your crew just needs more sunlight? None of mine have even thought about starting to lay for the season if that makes you feel better! Once they start to make nests, you’ll know it’s almost time :)

We have found several little “nest” intentions in their hay (they snubbed their bills at the nesting boxes but we still have them in there) over the past three weeks but no eggos. These are our first egg production animals so that total newbie life is hitting us. xD We’re down in TN so it’s starting to get warmer here, although not consistently because our weather pmses like nobody’s business.

Back
Top Bottom