Muscovy eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Skennedy2992, Aug 6, 2019.

1. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    It's been my experience that most will continue to sit.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  2. Skennedy2992

Skennedy2992 In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2019
    So as of today all eggs are still unhatched which is a good sign. 3 of the eggs however the babies have for sure broken the airsac. When lightly tapping on the egg you can hear them tap back. Right now the plan is to patiently wait and see what happens if she abandons them were thinking of taking the unhatched ones (if they're still alive) and placing them under one of our broody hen's. They're not to far along from hatching anyways so well see what happens

MROO, casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Dreaming of Fall

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's the best plan. :thumbsup

MROO and casportpony like this.
  4. Skennedy2992

Aug 6, 2019
    So woke up this morning to one baby has externally pipped. Enough that it actually has a small hole where you can see baby inside and hear it chirp. There's about 5 eggs that actually look like they still need time. The airsac is still high. So waiting to see what will happen

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

:caf

MROO likes this.
  6. Skennedy2992

Aug 6, 2019
    So all but 3 of the 14 eggs have externally pipped as of this morning. Either we got dates wrong somehow or because she mated with our sweedish black the hatching time changed. Is it possible for that to happen? Either that one of the other babies were laying eggs but haven't laid anymore. The first one that pipped that has the hole in it almost looks like what the other babies/ mom and dad did color wise when they hatched.

MROO and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

It’s a waiting game now. Hope you get to see a duckling or ducklings before end of day. Plus you could just have some late hatchers happens all the time.

MROO and Skennedy2992 like this.
  8. Skennedy2992

Aug 6, 2019
    I hope so to. The one that started yesterday looks like it's almost hatched. It made a decent size hole at where I'm assuming was the pip location. You can see it inside. I'm hoping the other ones will just be a few days off. One however still had some openness in is like it started developing really late. It's still alive because I can see movement but I don't know what will happen yet. I'm just glad she let's me in there to look and check on them. She peeps and rubs her head on my leg and my hands like she's hoping I'm proud of her. I love it

MROO and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Dreaming of Fall

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You're very lucky. Most of my muscovy moms I gotta beat off with a stick if I want to look at their eggs or ducklings. I don't literally do that, but I would have to. Most of mine are viciously protective. :oops: Which is good for the ducklings but bad on me.

10. Skennedy2992

Aug 6, 2019
    Her first hatch (which weren't even her actual eggs, they came from my other female) she was like that. She left bruises on my hand from biting me lol. But this round she actually will come out of the nest if it's me and let me see them. Which by the way, WE HAVE A BABY! 3 other ones that look like they're about half way there

MROO, Ladyxan, Muscovy Wunda and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: