Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
Can anyone please provide a list of essential items to have on hand for both general Muscovy health maintenance and emergency intervention such as vitamins, apple cider vinegar, calcium for egg-laying females, dewormer, charcoal, correct size tubing, etc. with appropriate dosing and anything else I may not yet be aware of. TIA
*I don’t have a feed store nearby so would need to order from Amazon or other online source unless available from pet store or pharmacy.

Things in my poultry care box...

Electrolytes
Permethrin spray
(Used when absolutely necessary for the treatment of mites, lice, etc. Overuse seems to lead to resistance.)
VetRX (Bird verson of Vicks)
Poultry wound spray (There are a bunch to pick from. I don't remember which one I had and I just gave it away. When looking to replace it I'll look for one that is an antiseptic wound spray.)
Neosporin WITHOUT PAIN RELIEVER
B Vitamins like Niacin
(Brewers yeast)
Vet Wrap

Not something you would want to keep on hand, but a low protein (<15%) duck starter is essential for reversing angel wing in heavy breed ducklings that are growing too fast.

Hmmm... I'm sure there is more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head. Ducks are so hardy I've rarely needed anything from my box for them. The chickens have needed things here and there. We did have a spell of red mites in their coop and the only thing that got rid of it was permethrin spray.

Last edited:
Things in my poultry care box...

Electrolytes
Permethrin spray
(Used when absolutely necessary for the treatment of mites, lice, etc. Overuse seems to lead to resistance.)
VetRX (Bird verson of Vicks)
Poultry wound spray (There are a bunch to pick from. I don't remember which one I had and I just gave it away. When looking to replace it I'll look for one that is an antiseptic wound spray.)
Neosporin WITHOUT PAIN RELIEVER
B Vitamins like Niacin
(Brewers yeast)
Vet Wrap

Not something you would want to keep on hand, but a low protein (<15%) duck starter is essential for reversing angel wing in heavy breed ducks that are growing too fast.

Hmmm... I'm sure there is more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head. Ducks are so hardy I've rarely needed anything from my box for them. The chickens have needed things here and there. We did have a spell of red mites in their coop and the only thing that got rid of it was permethrin spray.
Thank you for replying and this info. We learned the hard way that activated charcoal, tubing, and a knowledge of how to flush a crop is important but not sure how to do any of that yet and wanting to be sure not to overlook any other necessities.

Vetericyn (spelling may be off) is a great wound spray I recommend. Years ago, this was one of our go-to products when we rehabbed a rescue hen that had been severely attacked by dogs. Her feathers came back in over time and the wound closed well.

Thank you for replying and this info. We learned the hard way that activated charcoal, tubing, and a knowledge of how to flush a crop is important but not sure how to do any of that yet and wanting to be sure not to overlook any other necessities.
That sounds like a stressful situation. I think there are always things we are learning no matter how long we've had our ducks.

That sounds like a stressful situation. I think there are always things we are learning no matter how long we've had our ducks.
Thank you,yes, stressful and heartbreaking. They were very much a part of our family and we lost them both. While we still aren’t sure what exactly the cause was we want to be as prepared as we can be in an emergency going forward.

Back
Top Bottom