Muscovy Gender??

TedRooster

In the Brooder
May 1, 2021
My Muscovy is 7 weeks old. Is it a male or female?
EE5F81D6-C348-4AC2-86B8-45E336BF3CED.jpeg
2527C012-873B-4A18-A02D-9B959537E144.jpeg
D3D5940F-2090-4AF1-946F-D3B3C3AB0338.jpeg
9E3BC63D-BCFE-43B3-84C9-F270F4C6294A.jpeg

My first guess was female. So much more difficult to tell when you are not able to compare it to other ducks near by. I think the fanned out tail would say male but if it is a she, it might be fanned out if she is excited. Is it making any sounds.

My first guess was female. So much more difficult to tell when you are not able to compare it to other ducks near by. I think the fanned out tail would say male but if it is a she, it might be fanned out if she is excited. Is it making any sounds.
9AF7EC4B-CA73-4D16-AED4-F430AC9CF911.jpeg
Here’s a pic of it next to my other ducks. It makes an airy whistle, it is very quiet.

The flatter head on the duck in question (white one), is that something that develops as they age? Compared to the other 3 which have a more rounded head. Except the one in the back seems to be getting a kinda flat spot.

I'm new to ducks and sexing Muscovy's but I'll throw my opinion in anyway, ☺️, he looks male to me especially now compared to the others

Unfortunately comparing it to mallard derived ducks is not an apples to apples comparison, but if they are about the same age a female muscovy would likely be closer in size. The sound he or she makes as it ages will be your confirmation of gender. Young birds can make a variety of sounds, but males will begin to only huff (sometimes called hiss). Hens will continue to trill and be able to make a variety of sounds. Hens will only hiss or huff if they are aggravated or broody. Based on body shape I would guess this to be a male.

Back
Top Bottom