Muscovy Hen TOO BROODY

Mudbillkisses

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Hi all. I only have two backyard ducks- both muscovy females. One of them (3 years old) is broody again after she just started laying about 3 weeks ago. This after she was broody for 6 months straight no matter what I did. I collect any eggs from both of them every morning so she's only sitting on an egg over night in the coop. Destroying nest and taking eggs doesn't do anything. I've tried locking her out of the coop during the day and she just gets insufferable. When she isn't broody she loves to be pet and is very curious and friendly. Now she's being aggressive toward my other muscovy and me sometimes.

Is there anything I can give her nutritionally that will help this? Right now they are on a diet of layer pellets, mixed with some grain/corn and they get a few handfuls of meal worms every day. They free range the fenced yard during the day as well. I've raised female ducks for almost 10 years (different breeds) and I've never seen a duck so broody, ever. I would let her sit but historically she just loses weight and it takes too much of a toll on her because of how frequently and intensely broody she gets over the year. She also sometimes throws up randomly, and this seems to only be when she's broody.

Please, help! Thank you in advance!
Lisa

I have 2 Muscovy brooding on nothing I make sure to take up all eggs. One is pretty passive comes out a few times a day to eat and swim and of course do the broody poop. The other one is cranky as ever she has to be separated from the other muscovy or she torments the females. She has a bad attitude toward everyone except she isn't aggressive with me. Neither is the other one. I use to try to break them doing everything except I never have used a broody breaker. I just let it run its course watching them hang on the hardware cloth going into their house was too much for me so now they just get to sit as long as they come out every day. Both these girls are going to be 11yrs old in July you'd sure think they would be over this. But they surprised me and both have laid this year.

You really have 2 options:
1. Put her in a broody breaker. I can explain if you like.

2. Let her hatch ducklings. If she hatches ducklings, she will be distracted by raising the ducklings.

Muscovies are the broody equivalent to ducks that silkies are to chickens. Allowing her to set and hatch a couple ducklings will extend the period between her broody spell.
I knew they had that reputation but I didn't know it would be this extreme. I only have 2 females so she won't be able to hatch ducklings..

You really have 2 options:
1. Put her in a broody breaker. I can explain if you like.

2. Let her hatch ducklings. If she hatches ducklings, she will be distracted by raising the ducklings.
Yes, please explain what you mean by broody breaker. And I only have 2 females (we have a small backyard and we keep 2 for pets) so hatching ducklings isn't an option. I've tried having a muscovy drake but 2 females isn't enough for them....the ratio isn't right.

Yes, please explain what you mean by broody breaker. And I only have 2 females (we have a small backyard and we keep 2 for pets) so hatching ducklings isn't an option. I've tried having a muscovy drake but 2 females isn't enough for them....the ratio isn't right.
I know it works for chickens. I assume it works for ducks. Get a wire bottom dog crate. Suspend it above the ground by putting it on bricks, wood, cinderblocks, etc. For the first day I put just water. No food no bedding. After that, for as long as it takes for her to stop, I put food and water. You can let her out once a day after about 3 days to see if she is broken.

For eggs and chicks. If you buy fertile eggs, which may be the only way to break her, let her raise the ducklings. There will be a certain point that she lets them go. After that, try to sell them. You could try to sell them after they hatch, but each hen takes that differently. Some will give up and go on with their lives. Some of them stay broody. Some will take a break and immediately go broody again.

My experience with broody Muscovies is that letting them hatch even one egg can get them through the summer. Then, as the days begin to shorten, something in them tells them to give up setting for the winter.

Muscovy ducks are beautiful mothers. My OG mama, CoCo, would disappear under the barn for a month, then come out with 10-15 ducklings—most of which survived to young adulthood.

I have 2 Muscovy brooding on nothing I make sure to take up all eggs. One is pretty passive comes out a few times a day to eat and swim and of course do the broody poop. The other one is cranky as ever she has to be separated from the other muscovy or she torments the females. She has a bad attitude toward everyone except she isn't aggressive with me. Neither is the other one. I use to try to break them doing everything except I never have used a broody breaker. I just let it run its course watching them hang on the hardware cloth going into their house was too much for me so now they just get to sit as long as they come out every day. Both these girls are going to be 11yrs old in July you'd sure think they would be over this. But they surprised me and both have laid this year.
Oh my goodness, yes- mine is like the one that torments the other we have. It's helpful for me to read about other's experiences with this. When my muscovy was broody for 5 months, she got to the point where she didn't come out without being taken off the nest. I just don't want it to get to that point again. With the above feedback, I'm considering getting some fertilized eggs for her to sit on and hatch. I just can't keep them. These ducks are always keeping us on our toes ; )

Back
Top Bottom