Muscovy hiding eggs!

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
One of my female Muscovy has been laying eggs for a few weeks now. She was hatched in May of 2020. I guess she got tired of me taking all the eggs (it’s winter time and I really don’t want babies), now she’s found a hole in the top of a very tall dead tree. She goes up there every morning, and I assume, lays her egg for the day. When she gets done she flies back home. Do you guys think she’s planning on making a clutch and hatching them? Should I try my hardest to move them? And if they hatch up there how the heck are they going to get down without getting hurt?!

One of my female Muscovy has been laying eggs for a few weeks now. She was hatched in May of 2020. I guess she got tired of me taking all the eggs (it’s winter time and I really don’t want babies), now she’s found a hole in the top of a very tall dead tree. She goes up there every morning, and I assume, lays her egg for the day. When she gets done she flies back home. Do you guys think she’s planning on making a clutch and hatching them? Should I try my hardest to move them? And if they hatch up there how the heck are they going to get down without getting hurt?!
How high is it? Do you have a drake?

Since you have stated that you don't want ducklings I would consider clipping her wing feathers so she can't fly up there. Even if the ducklings can get down from that high (and I think you might have some injuries or fatalities from landing wrong?) you would need to figure out what to do with a lot of ducks eventually. Probably half of them would be male, which presents another issue.

I recommend looking up wing clipping tutorials, before attempting to trim, if you decide to go that way.

Since you have stated that you don't want ducklings I would consider clipping her wing feathers so she can't fly up there. Even if the ducklings can get down from that high (and I think you might have some injuries or fatalities from landing wrong?) you would need to figure out what to do with a lot of ducks eventually. Probably half of them would be male, which presents another issue.

I recommend looking up wing clipping tutorials, before attempting to trim, if you decide to go that way.
We do have room for more ducks and I wanted her to have some next spring lol. I just didn’t want to deal with ducklings in the winter

Back
Top Bottom