Muscovy Incubation, by Broody or Incubator

I wanted to share this one here quick in case anyone runs into this....

Last night I came home to a Muscovy egg pipping in the incubator. I couldn't believe it. This year, I've let some girls lay on their own clutches, but I've also collected eggs from my other girls to partially incubate. I then put them under a broody Muscovy hen with a week or two left. I must have marked the wrong egg as the pipped egg says 6/17 on it, which is the date I put them in the incubator. There's no way the chick would be formed to the point of pipping at 10 days. I'm sure this egg belonged to the group I put under a broody Scovie hen about 4 days ago.

Now you have the back story, the duckling broke free around 3am this morning. There was a large amount of brownish liquid (smells like old blood) around it, so it's now on a paper towel in the bator. The yolk has been absorbed, so perhaps it didn't fully absorb all of the blood from the veins before hatching (when assisting a hatch, this is absolutely critical to look for). And perhaps this is just due to the duckling being new and figuring out life outside of the egg, but it almost appears to have wry neck now. I left the duckling in the incubator and also left the humidity high (around 65-70). This way nothing will stick to it and if there is something more to absorb unseen to my eye, it can. I did consider wrapping the duckling in a wet cloth and keeping it inside the incubator, but I won't be around to observe it.

I don't expect survival at this point. It was a rough hatch and I don't like how the duckling is positioned outside of the egg at this time. If it's still alive when I get home, I'll assess it, clean it off, keep it dry and warm under a light, and get some vitamins/electrolytes in it.

Hope the lil one makes it.
fl.gif

I wanted to share this one here quick in case anyone runs into this....

Last night I came home to a Muscovy egg pipping in the incubator. I couldn't believe it. This year, I've let some girls lay on their own clutches, but I've also collected eggs from my other girls to partially incubate. I then put them under a broody Muscovy hen with a week or two left. I must have marked the wrong egg as the pipped egg says 6/17 on it, which is the date I put them in the incubator. There's no way the chick would be formed to the point of pipping at 10 days. I'm sure this egg belonged to the group I put under a broody Scovie hen about 4 days ago.

Now you have the back story, the duckling broke free around 3am this morning. There was a large amount of brownish liquid (smells like old blood) around it, so it's now on a paper towel in the bator. The yolk has been absorbed, so perhaps it didn't fully absorb all of the blood from the veins before hatching (when assisting a hatch, this is absolutely critical to look for). And perhaps this is just due to the duckling being new and figuring out life outside of the egg, but it almost appears to have wry neck now. I left the duckling in the incubator and also left the humidity high (around 65-70). This way nothing will stick to it and if there is something more to absorb unseen to my eye, it can. I did consider wrapping the duckling in a wet cloth and keeping it inside the incubator, but I won't be around to observe it.

I don't expect survival at this point. It was a rough hatch and I don't like how the duckling is positioned outside of the egg at this time. If it's still alive when I get home, I'll assess it, clean it off, keep it dry and warm under a light, and get some vitamins/electrolytes in it.

Hope the lil one makes it.
fl.gif
X2 Keep us posted.

It's okay. No matter what it is, it's always hard to see little ones pass way. I knew it would be a miracle if it pulled through and even then I wasn't sure how healthy it would ever be.

My pair of broody muscovies is sitting on a nest that should hatch within the next few days. I think the eggs are on day 38. I noticed that the last clutch hatched around day 40. I don't know if it's the weather, humidity, or two crazy broodies that is setting back the hatch times.

It's okay. No matter what it is, it's always hard to see little ones pass way. I knew it would be a miracle if it pulled through and even then I wasn't sure how healthy it would ever be.

My pair of broody muscovies is sitting on a nest that should hatch within the next few days. I think the eggs are on day 38. I noticed that the last clutch hatched around day 40. I don't know if it's the weather, humidity, or two crazy broodies that is setting back the hatch times.
fl.gif
HAPPY hatching. Keep us posted and don't forget the pictures
smile.png

Anything here yet?

I candled Babe's 13 today. I must admit that I haven't candled them except for one or two until now. I saw some VERY ODD air cells. No straight line. Most kinda dipped up and down. All had shadows and movement in the air cell but I could only hear one peeping. Today is just day 27 give or take a few
fl.gif
Mom has been spending longer time away and when she came back to day she did not sit down on them. She was just standing over them ready to kill me if I reached in, lol.

Anything here yet?

I candled Babe's 13 today. I must admit that I haven't candled them except for one or two until now. I saw some VERY ODD air cells. No straight line. Most kinda dipped up and down. All had shadows and movement in the air cell but I could only hear one peeping. Today is just day 27 give or take a few
fl.gif
Mom has been spending longer time away and when she came back to day she did not sit down on them. She was just standing over them ready to kill me if I reached in, lol.
If it's extremely hot she won't cook them, reason she is not sitting on them right off or spending more time away from the nest. as for air cells not sure what that could mean. Hope all is well. Isn't that so cool they know just what to do.
smile.png
if you hear peeping you have an internal pip. Sounds like you have one ready to get out of there.

Back
Top Bottom