Muscovy Incubation, by Broody or Incubator

If it's extremely hot she won't cook them, reason she is not sitting on them right off or spending more time away from the nest. as for air cells not sure what that could mean. Hope all is well. Isn't that so cool they know just what to do.
smile.png
if you hear peeping you have an internal pip. Sounds like you have one ready to get out of there.
Definitely extremely hot here. It is WAY cool that they know exactly what to do. 9 with external pips today
wee.gif
When momma left to go swim I stood watch for her, lol. As I was sitting there I was saying to myself... gees, she just turned them, she shouldn't do that in lock down, lol. And, I don't think the humidity is high enough. lol.

Definitely extremely hot here. It is WAY cool that they know exactly what to do. 9 with external pips today
wee.gif
When momma left to go swim I stood watch for her, lol. As I was sitting there I was saying to myself... gees, she just turned them, she shouldn't do that in lock down, lol. And, I don't think the humidity is high enough. lol.
Oh boy more ducklings you must have a big following to want them or your a hoarder [joke] on the last part.
wink.png
Can't wait to see them..
pop.gif
So look who is thinking she knows more than mama what your instinct kick in?
lol.png

Oh boy more ducklings you must have a big following to want them or your a hoarder [joke] on the last part.
wink.png
Can't wait to see them..
pop.gif
So look who is thinking she knows more than mama what your instinct kick in?
lol.png
LOL, two are sold. I will be practicing duck birth control from here on out
smile.png
I think it is my OCD that kicked in
lau.gif
12 of 13 have hatched
wee.gif

Anything here yet?

I candled Babe's 13 today. I must admit that I haven't candled them except for one or two until now. I saw some VERY ODD air cells. No straight line. Most kinda dipped up and down. All had shadows and movement in the air cell but I could only hear one peeping. Today is just day 27 give or take a few
fl.gif
Mom has been spending longer time away and when she came back to day she did not sit down on them. She was just standing over them ready to kill me if I reached in, lol.

Anything hatch from this clutch yet? After all of those ducklings hatched from those eggs that had water in the air cell, I don't even know what to think anymore. I hope everything goes well!

The eggs that were on day 38 a week or so ago were all bad. It was the worst smell ever. I'm pretty sure it's my fault as I incubated them until the point of lockdown and then put them under a broody. I thought I was being sneaky. Not so much. The idea was there, but I lost all of those ducklings that were doing great.

I did have another clutch hatch this past Sunday. 15 healthy babies came out of it. Unfortunately, three others passed away - I think mom might have suffocated them or stepped on them by accident. She's a first time mom and was pretty agitated. At one point I watched her take off from the nest using the little ones as a launch pad. Needless to say, I put them in a brooder after that. I considered keeping all 15 because the variety of colors is incredible. They're all also split to barring. However, I know which hens the eggs came from, so maybe next year. Plus, a nice lady really wanted to buy them all and she seemed to have a really great home for them. That always helps =)

Anything hatch from this clutch yet? After all of those ducklings hatched from those eggs that had water in the air cell, I don't even know what to think anymore. I hope everything goes well!

The eggs that were on day 38 a week or so ago were all bad. It was the worst smell ever. I'm pretty sure it's my fault as I incubated them until the point of lockdown and then put them under a broody. I thought I was being sneaky. Not so much. The idea was there, but I lost all of those ducklings that were doing great.

I did have another clutch hatch this past Sunday. 15 healthy babies came out of it. Unfortunately, three others passed away - I think mom might have suffocated them or stepped on them by accident. She's a first time mom and was pretty agitated. At one point I watched her take off from the nest using the little ones as a launch pad. Needless to say, I put them in a brooder after that. I considered keeping all 15 because the variety of colors is incredible. They're all also split to barring. However, I know which hens the eggs came from, so maybe next year. Plus, a nice lady really wanted to buy them all and she seemed to have a really great home for them. That always helps =)
frow.gif
Yes and I have one that shares the same birthday as yours
big_smile.png
12 hatched on Saturday and #13 on Sunday. You've got some gorgeous colors there! I see chocolate. GREAT pictures! I can never get good baby pictures... I'm either dodging mom or the lil boogers are running everywhere. I'm sorry you lost 3. I've seen both of my broodies step on them and have wondered if the Moms knew what they were doing.

So all 15 of these are sold? I wouldn't be able to part with some of those colors
smile.png
Can't wait to see what you get next year from them.

So sorry about the eggs you lost. It wasn't a bad idea to try. I've always lost scovies after lock down so if I had the option, I might have done the same thing
hugs.gif

Here are Babe's 13 babies. All cute but no impressive colors. She's Blue Pied and the Drake is Black Pied.

frow.gif
Yes and I have one that shares the same birthday as yours
big_smile.png
12 hatched on Saturday and #13 on Sunday. You've got some gorgeous colors there! I see chocolate. GREAT pictures! I can never get good baby pictures... I'm either dodging mom or the lil boogers are running everywhere. I'm sorry you lost 3. I've seen both of my broodies step on them and have wondered if the Moms knew what they were doing.

So all 15 of these are sold? I wouldn't be able to part with some of those colors
smile.png
Can't wait to see what you get next year from them.

So sorry about the eggs you lost. It wasn't a bad idea to try. I've always lost scovies after lock down so if I had the option, I might have done the same thing
hugs.gif

Here are Babe's 13 babies. All cute but no impressive colors. She's Blue Pied and the Drake is Black Pied.

Awesome! I wish I could get some pied babies. I'm jealous. Mine have been dominantly wild-type so far. I think I'll try to breed that out a bit next year. What are you going to do with them all? Keep them, keep them, keep them, keep them......

Yep, I sold all 15. I really wanted to keep some of the lighter colors, which I'm sure were silver (well, I think). I told the lady I'd buy back a silver drake if that's what came out of them.

I should get similar colors from my next clutch due in a month or so. We'll see.

Tonight, I'm putting 22 eggs in lockdown. I've been "dry hatching" them so far with my humidity only around 30-35%. I'm hoping to be surprised and all 22 hatch =) Wishful thinking, I know....

Awesome! I wish I could get some pied babies. I'm jealous. Mine have been dominantly wild-type so far. I think I'll try to breed that out a bit next year. What are you going to do with them all? Keep them, keep them, keep them, keep them......

Yep, I sold all 15. I really wanted to keep some of the lighter colors, which I'm sure were silver (well, I think). I told the lady I'd buy back a silver drake if that's what came out of them.

I should get similar colors from my next clutch due in a month or so. We'll see.

Tonight, I'm putting 22 eggs in lockdown. I've been "dry hatching" them so far with my humidity only around 30-35%. I'm hoping to be surprised and all 22 hatch =) Wishful thinking, I know....
Thank you. If Minnesota wasn't so far...
smile.png
. I will keep the girls. I've still got the 19 from Blanche that just turned 4 weeks. I haven't determined genders yet... there's just too many of them, lol.

fl.gif
you get another set of gorgeous colors.

22 made it to lock down is fantastic!
fl.gif
for a great hatch.

After watching my last two broodies I'm thinking gees, they don't go into lock down, they don't stop turning, they aren't misty/some days don't bathe, and they have excellent hatch rates, humm.... I might try something different if I ever try to incubate Muscovy eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom