Muscovy incubator hatching- first time. Day 36 please help!

Thanks again! ☺️
7 out of the 8 were active and had all internally pipped. We were able to hear tapping and peeping. Tried to do candling, marking and poking hole’s as fast as possible. Used a push pin and poked a hole through each of the remaining ones that had not yet externally pipped away from them, but in the air sac. We could actually see the ones that had not yet externally pipped desperately trying to do so…Wondering if I had of left them if they would’ve been successful with it?🤷‍♀️
Kind of regretting touching them now and even opening incubator knowing the risks, but at the same time I now have peace of mind that they are alive and making progress. I’ll just keep Fingers crossed in the end we have 7 healthy ducklings.
It is likely you will need to further assist the ducklings in hatching. If you have never assisted, take time to research this. BYC has a good article on the procedure.

It is likely you will need to further assist the ducklings in hatching. If you have never assisted, take time to research this. BYC has a good article on the procedure.
So you were right… I ended up opening them further and one after another all shrink wrapped 😔. The membrane was all white and dry. Veins still active, I nicked one, but was able to get bleeding to stop quite quickly. I peeled back as much shell that looked necessary to where membrane was dry and applied a generous amount of coconut oil to each. I’m guessing I should continue this every hour or so until veins are no longer active and the rest of the yolk is absorbed? I really have no clue!? 😩 Here are some pics. Please share thoughts and anymore advice you can. Thank you so much!
0EA4A4C2-27F1-49B9-BAD1-E8D4C77908A3.jpeg
A691427A-1D35-4915-AD32-50672E4A0B3A.jpeg
636D8F77-6296-446D-BE98-A8E3E556EB6A.jpeg
8BDD71B6-7198-4B02-B4A1-E3BF772AA1BA.jpeg
C15DB506-B713-4F2E-9032-0B4E57773C47.jpeg

So you were right… I ended up opening them further and one after another all shrink wrapped 😔. The membrane was all white and dry. Veins still active, I nicked one, but was able to get bleeding to stop quite quickly. I peeled back as much shell that looked necessary to where membrane was dry and applied a generous amount of coconut oil to each. I’m guessing I should continue this every hour or so until veins are no longer active and the rest of the yolk is absorbed? I really have no clue!? 😩 Here are some pics. Please share thoughts and anymore advice you can. Thank you so much!View attachment 3108854View attachment 3108855View attachment 3108856View attachment 3108857View attachment 3108858
You do not have to reapply the oil; just keep checking for a bloodless membrane each hour or so. When the membranes are bloodless, break away the shell on the pipped end, push the membrane away from over the duckling, and return the eggs to the incubator. Let the ducklings push free. You may have to help further if the membranes dry to the duckling, in which case simply remove the bit of dry membrane keeping the duckling from making its escape.

Back
Top Bottom