Muscovy (JM Hatchery) Grow Out Journal

3 1/2 pounds at 5 weeks.... that's great. I still haven't processed mine yet, I did one and it dressed at 4 lbs and really want them at 6 pounds.

The big differences in the weights appear to be just the males vs. the females. Its very easy to tell them apart at this point. The males are
not really taller or larger, they are just thicker and bulkier. In fact, by looking at these 5 week old ducks I am now able to tell male from female
in the 2 week old ducks. (at least I THINK I can tell) The males seem to develop a much thicker neck than the females.

14 weeks

Males are now over 12 lbs each.

17846_dsc_0422.jpg

That's great!

Do you remember what they (males and females) weighed in at around the 8 week mark?

I didn't weigh them at the 8 week mark. I had to move them to a new enclosure and its a super
pain to grab one and carry it to the other side of the property to weigh it. With muscovys you
have to use gloves and a long sleeve shirt just to handle them. The claws are really something!

I don't think they were ready to be processed at 8 weeks. I have some that are just about 12
weeks and I would say those are ready for the freezer. I'll weigh one tommorow and see what's
what. I had pekins that were ready at 8 weeks but these muscovys need a bit longer I think.

The female muscovys are easily just half the size of the males. I don't plan to butcher any of mine
except maybe as culls.

I processed 10 of the ducks today. It took 7 hours for me to do 10 ducks.
I need a better system!

Here's a breast:
17846_img_0393.jpg

Pic of "Death Row":
17846_img_0384.jpg

Here's my plucker. Its made for game birds but its all I have. It's not getting
the job done so I'm going to town to get the last part I need for my whizbang
in the morning.
17846_img_0390.jpg

If I can get my whizbang working, I'll post pics of it in action on one of the
ducks.

Actually, I think its pretty good. Not on the % of feed vs weight but just because they forage so well.
They love any scraps I give them and eat ANYTHING. I have not tried to push the envelope there but
I have not found anything yet that they would not eat. I swear mine eat the rabbit poop from under the
rabbit cages. Maybe theres undigested food in there.

I plan to raise my next batch in a tractor. Let them eat alot of grass and add table/garden scraps.
And they do eat like pigs!

Back
Top Bottom