Muscovy keepers share your pics!

lol, WOW. Ok, so, all of my splash are homozygous white, blue, lav, with the gene which causes the calico. I did get one solid blue with black splash this spring, so I'm not sure that the lav is necessary. I wasn't absolutely SURE that the white was (but they all have it). So, the necessary factors of splash would seem to be the white and the blue. If you breed that "Chocolate and blue" hen... I'd love to find out if she breeds correctly for lilac. I've seen brown eyed heterozygous white before. It just means the parents or grandparents somewhere along the line were actually pied (white crossed with a color) and some of the offspring came out white. They often retain green or brown eyes. I probably will end up PMing tomorrow because you have some Really interesting traits in your ducks. Besides, if I don't figure out how to keep the black splash from shrinking every generation, it's going to just disappear.

lol, WOW.  Ok, so, all of my splash are homozygous white, blue, lav, with the gene which causes the calico.  I did get one solid blue with black splash this spring, so I'm not sure that the lav is necessary.  I wasn't absolutely SURE that the white was (but they all have it).  So, the necessary factors of splash would seem to be the white and the blue.  If you breed that "Chocolate and blue" hen... I'd love to find out if she breeds correctly for lilac.  I've seen brown eyed heterozygous white before.  It just means the parents or grandparents somewhere along the line were actually pied (white crossed with a color) and some of the offspring came out white.  They often retain green or brown eyes.  I probably will end up PMing tomorrow because you have some Really interesting traits in your ducks.  Besides, if I don't figure out how to keep the black splash from shrinking every generation, it's going to just disappear. 

You wouldn't happen to be the person that owns the uglyduckfarm website, would you?

hide.gif
ok, guilty. But I'm not here to try to be all expert or even to research genetics. I avoided social media while working on genetics because I didn't want any influence on my work other than pure research and observation (which, oftentimes, involved studying the ducks on this forum... I love this forum). But, now that I'm working on something new, namely producing GOOD ducks for once, I'd like to be able to compare notes and get opinions regarding the ducks I'm working on. Opinions have no place in research, but they sure are nice when it comes to deciding on what looks good or what's a good idea.

Like, I was working on producing a good gypsy faced duck. I got a couple of really nice drakes, but then they accidentally crossed to some blue hens... and the caruncles on the offspring were completely RUINED. So, I'm rethinking the intelligence of intentionally breeding gypsy faced ducks. I've Never seen such hideously discolored caruncles as the ones on the blues that were from the gypsy faced drakes. It was horrible.

Plus, I'm not sure if I want self colored or dilute skin for my main colored ducks. I like the clean beak on the dilute skin, but I also like the matching feet on the self colored. I did get a black duck this summer who had a dilute beak with black feet, which was unusual,

I like the look, but have no idea how to repeat it. He was from a dilute skin blue to a self colored black. Go figure. It isn't as if I haven't had that combination before, but I don't recall ever getting the black feet with a dilute beak before. I'll have to go back over my records and check. I know that both dilute skin and self colored are considered standard for breed perfection... but which one is preferable? Would it be worth the effort to try to get the feet dark and the beak light?

So, I'd sort of like to compare notes and get opinions.

Dot.

lol, they are white...or rather they WILL be :p they were hatched on monday the 29th of september. All natural, mum did all the work, we simply moved them all into an aviary to keep them safer, they are very personable and their mum is also very friendly :) i have taken 2 for myself and they follow me everywhere :p

oh, p.s. to pyxis; those ducks you were asking about? The "ripple"? It looks like you got one dark ripple and some blue split to ripple. But that's just my opinion.

Here are more of that chocolate girl

When she was a few months , a year ago

In summer when she was changing

And in September

I'll show you something i have seen with my chocolates, come summer(late spring) they lighten almost like a tea colour then when cooler weather actually more season, fall, winter etc they darken and i mean a lot resembling dark chocolate, the molt plays a role for sure.

Here this is Mabel in the early spring.. dark...

i'll have to find the pic it must be on the laptop with her and the babies by summer she was quite well i go with 'faded' lol

here this summer with some of her clutch, will add she is now returning to the above 'dark' look again!

Last edited:

this is my hopefully soon my new baby muscovy she is hatching what i call breach she is not at the air pocket. and its been 24 hours she is still peeping at me. lol. im super excited. they are inside now mommy decided she wasnt going to sit on them anymore. this one has 2 other siblings that im not sure will hatch. i also have another scovy princess that is sitting on 8 of her eggs and has about 2 weeks left.

Quote:
oh i did breed her, and fun fact female duke can have babies from multiple males!! so i have a black one which i bred her with a white headed male, since white heads are just like my little pets because i think they're beautiful. and then she mated with a blue male with a few chocolate accent feathers and all the babies as babies are grey chocolate color and they turn blue as they mature ill post pics later today!

Back
Top Bottom