Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Thank you :). Yes mating season but my Pekins seem to mate all year round though I only incubate in the warmer months. They seem to be doing well, at first the Pekins ran away from her. Maybe because she looked different? Now the drake (his names Goose) just hisses at her if he think she's getting to close, during the day they are free range on my 5 acres but don't really stray too far from the coop and at night they have a large shed/coop with plenty of room to all spread out. She's been sleeping close to the feed bin and the others sleep under the chickens nesting boxes (chickens nesting boxes are high) with perches. As soon as I go near her she squeaks and runs away so I don't think she's had any handling.

Hi all I'm new and about 3 days ago just bought my first Muscovy. I've had Pekins for a few years and have raised and sold ducklings, hatching them in the incubator. I'm hoping she will make some cute coloured babies with my Pekin drake any way heres some pics of the cute lady. She is trying to get in with my other ducks, so far my drake just hisses and her and she runs away peeping. She is only around 3-4 months old also very timid and wry of people.
she's very cute. Tell Mr Drake to stop hissing at her.

Got good look at the nest

OKAY! Serious this time.
I need to clip his wings today.....
Idk if my drake even realizes what he's doing right now
1f612.png

OKAY! Serious this time.
I need to clip his wings today.....
Idk if my drake even realizes what he's doing right now
1f612.png

That's how they get into trouble, I wish you could have seen the look on my drakes face the other night, like How did I get down here I didn't mean to do it. Poor guy was so happy to get home, he'd flown a good ways from the house just thankful he didn't fly into the river I'd probably would have had to leave him there. I would clip his wing no telling where your drake might end up.

Thank you :). Yes mating season but my Pekins seem to mate all year round though I only incubate in the warmer months. They seem to be doing well, at first the Pekins ran away from her. Maybe because she looked different? Now the drake (his names Goose) just hisses at her if he think she's getting to close, during the day they are free range on my 5 acres but don't really stray too far from the coop and at night they have a large shed/coop with plenty of room to all spread out. She's been sleeping close to the feed bin and the others sleep under the chickens nesting boxes (chickens nesting boxes are high) with perches. As soon as I go near her she squeaks and runs away so I don't think she's had any handling.
Treats are the best way to make friends with a duck that isn't use to humans. I can come outside with thawed peas or dried meal worms and eve n my most timid are practically stepping on my feet. Give her time she'll get better. And yes ducks do recognize differences in color of other ducks so hopefully once they get use to her not being all white but still a duck they will accept her.
smile.png

@Miss Lydia
Your poor drake! I bet!
1f62d.png
thank goodness he didn't! Such a good thing you found him and came to his rescue. My Walshi thinks he's so fearless.... I find him flying on top of high place and hissing like he's king of the world
1f612.png
he's just lonely now that my girls are dedicated mama's nesting like 24/7

o my word, these flying muscovies are funny. how come as a domesticated duck they can fly so well but usually the pekins, runners, harlequins and others can't? it is in the breeding of their bodies?

o my word, these flying muscovies are funny. how come as a domesticated duck they can fly so well but usually the pekins, runners, harlequins and others can't? it is in the breeding of their bodies?
Well in the wild Muscovy's are tree dwellers and are use to flying. Once they get around 2 and older the drakes don't usually fly so well because they are heavy, mine is not yet 2 will be in May. The ducks can fly at any age. I was looking at my 2 youngest yesterday standing pretty close together. Big difference in body bulk with a years difference in age.

Back
Top Bottom